Re: Signs of Desperation to Defeat Free Software

On Dec 5, 3:04 pm, Chris Ahlstrom <lino...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
> > On Dec 5, 1:36 pm, "amicus_curious" <A...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> "Chris Ahlstrom" <lino...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >> I doubt that there will be very many of them after Win7 starts shipping with
> >> a version tailored to the netbook hardware.
>
> > Win7 has already started shipping betas.
> > Preliminary reviews appear to be excellent, and
> > will give Linux a run for its money.
>
> Huh?  That's not what I heard.

It is likely that you've pulled up differing reviews.  I just
did a quickie Google search for "Win7 beta netbook" or some
such.  Personally, I think Win7 will be more of the same, and
I'll admit most people won't know the difference. :-/

"Oh, look, a new version of Windows!  Wow!  Innovation(tm)!"
Never mind that Linux distros have been doing things better
for almost, if not more than, a decade now.  People will
see what's pushed at them on the idiot box (either the TV
set, or, more likely, a sophisticated Youtube or adware
campaign financed by Microsoft).

It's enough for me to pull my hair out...

The good news: one of the reviews did state that he was
able to install the beta in 25 minutes.  Linux apparently
has at least goaded the beast into improving its offering.

The bad news: the plural of anecdote is not data. ;-)
I have *no* idea whether *everyone else* will also see
this improvement when Win7 comes at us.

(It is also entirely possible Google is being subtly
corrupted, as well, returning search results that Microsoft
wants Google users to see on its first pages.  A scary
thought, that.)

> > Microsoft has taught us well.
>
> Microsoft's a small-time outfit that deals primarily with consumer computers
> and office suites <grin>.

$60B = small.  Well, perhaps compared to Exxon-Mobil. ;-)
Then again, there are times I wonder how much of their
budget is applied to actual development, as opposed
to market, advertising, and competitive suppression...

Microsoft.  Where do we want to be led today? :-P