Re: Signs of Desperation to Defeat Free Software

On Dec 5, 9:53 pm, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGreg...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-12-06, The Ghost In The Machine <ewi...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 5, 3:04 pm, Chris Ahlstrom <lino...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
> >> this bit o' wisdom:

> >> Huh?  That's not what I heard.
>
> > It is likely that you've pulled up differing reviews.  I just did a
> > quickie Google search for "Win7 beta netbook" or some such.
> > Personally, I think Win7 will be more of the same, and I'll admit most
> > people won't know the difference. :-/
>
> The first one I pulled up had it installed on a Win. Is this really a
> netbook? 85GbHD 1GB ram?

One would think that the primary determiners are weight,
cost, battery lifetime, and capability, roughly in that
order.  Best I can do as far as cursory research is toss
up the Wikipedia entry comparing about two dozen so-called
"netbooks":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks

The weight varies from 1 1/2 pounds to just a bit over
2 1/2; display sizes range from 7" diagonal to 10.2"
(except for the Mini 12, which is 12").  Battery lifetimes
appear to run from 3 to 4 hours.  Disk sizes verge from
1 GB (NAND flash drive-based units) to 160 GB.  Display
resolutions run from 800x480 to 1280x1024.  (Not clear
what external display capabilities might be.)

The page does not mention costs -- which is probably not
unreasonable, given the volatility of the economy nowadays.

By contrast, my nx9010 "notebook" is a heavy 7 pound
thunk of a unit with an about 2 hour battery lifetime
(on a 4400 mAh LiON), and a 1024x768 internal display.
I've ugpraded it to 1 GB RAM/160 GB internal drive.
I can drive an external monitor at 1600x1200 after typing
in a couple of xrandr commands.

(It does, however, fit rather nicely in my 80's style
hard clamshell briefcase. ;-) )