Re: [News] DRM Always a Crime Against People, India Fights for Freedom

Gary M. Stewart wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:25:25 +0000, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

Gary M. Stewart wrote:
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:22:34 +0100, Hadron wrote:

"Gary M. Stewart" <gmstewart1953@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:51:12 +0000, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

I bought Hancock on DVD this week and couldn't help but notice there's a "digital copy" on the disc which you can install into your computer. Being a Sony disc, I wonder what else will be installed onto the machine of anyone dumb enough to fall for this one. I had to laugh when I read the blurb in the accompanying literature "using your digital copy you can watch this movie anywhere!". Well thank you sony, this is much better than simply having a dvd that I can watch anywhere!
So what solution do you propose that protects the companies investment yet
gives the user freedom?
I'll tell you how it works in the DAW world.

You buy a USB key called iLok, register for an account and when you buy
software, mmuch of which is VERY EXPENSIVE, you go online and deposit the
liscenses in your iLok account.

Now you can use that software, install that software, go to a studio that
has that software, install YOUR software on their machine etc AS LONG AS
you plug your key in and do not use it on more than one machine at a time,
which is impossible because you need the key.

The key has not been hacked and while anything is possible, this one has
really thrown a monkey wrench into the court of the hackers.
They did crack a similar system, Synchrosoft, but this is much more
sophisticated than just a dongle.

Also, it's easy to restore drives in the event of a crash, organize your
licenses etc.
No funny stuff is done to the drive or system and you can upgrade hardware
etc with no problems.

Much better than the typical challenge response method which is a PITA and
very time consuming.

The one flaw, and it's a major one, is if the key craps out or you lose it,
you are screwed until you can replace it.

This is one reason why musicians are interested in open source DAW and
music software but until it comes close to the commercial stuff in quality
it won't generate a market.

So how would you handle this?
Phil?

He would ensure everyone gave their SW away for free. Because cloning
DVDs is cheap. Or something.
That's the Linux way isn't it?
The linux way is choice. Most fans of linux don't care that you have to pay to own a dvd but object when the content mafia try and get you to pay over and over again for the same thing.

But you still haven't answered the question.

Yes I have. Several times in other threads. I don't object to a bit of rights management as long as its fair to both supplier and consumer and effective. It's none of those things and is leading merely to the situation that hardcore crackers are getting round it anyway and genuine consumers are being fleeced and inconvenienced. A new approach is neccessary. And if I had the magic answer I wouldn't be a printer.