[News] Big Moves to GNU/Linux in China

Chinese ordered to stop using pirate software

,----[ Quote ]
| Officials push for Linux OS
|
| A CITY IN CHINA has required Internet café operators to replace pirated
| software with legitimate versions – the officials primarily pushing Linux.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/12/03/chinese-ordered-away-pirate

Chinese city requires Net cafes to use legitimate software

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of Nanchang's crackdown on pirated software, officials apparently
| struck a deal with a local Red Flag Linux distributor to install licensed
| software and provide two years of support for 5,000 yuan ($725 U.S.).
|
| [...]
|
| Red Flag Linux is a version of the Asianux Linux distribution, jointly
| developed by China's Red Flag, South Korea's Haansoft, and Japan's Miracle
| Linux. The desktop version of the software is free, but Red Flag and its
| distributors charge users for the server version, as well as for support to
| help companies install and manage the software.
|
| Some Internet cafe owners were unhappy with the fee, and complained they are
| prevented from using other Linux distributions.
|
| "You have to install Red Flag Linux, and pay 5,000 yuan," complained one user
| on the Jiangxi discussion forum (in Chinese). "If you are using a different
| Linux distribution, they just say it's pirated!"
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9122159&intsrc=hm_list

China Internet cafes switching to Chinese OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Requirements that Internet cafes in a southern Chinese city install
| Chinese-developed operating systems are raising new concerns over cyber
| snooping by authorities, a U.S. government-funded radio station reported
| Wednesday.
`----

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gtXzh8sBnuMEvyTIKlOP4-ZIc5twD94R48AO0

The world's worst way to market Linux

http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_worlds_worst_way_to_market_linux

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than
when there's not."

                                --Bill Gates

"China has long been seen as a fertile ground for Linux and other open source
software. In a country where more than 90% of software in use is pirated, it
seems like a natural fit."

                        http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/50004.html

Recent:

Chinese flex muscles in Microsoft piracy fight

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft rolled out its latest anti-piracy initiative this year, it was
| not aimed at any particular country. Windows Genuine Advantage, a tool that
| identifies users of counterfeit software and pushes them to buy the real
| thing, was launched worldwide in several geographical blocs.
|
| But Microsoft ran into trouble when the roll-out hit China last month. While
| users in other markets kept silent when hit by one of WGA’s more extreme
| features, a mechanism that blackens the desktop background on computers found
| to be using counterfeit Windows, their Chinese peers broke into a storm of
| anger, forcing Microsoft officials in the country into damage control mode.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ab068622-b408-11dd-8e35-0000779fd18c.html

Microsoft's Chinese Folly

,----[ Quote ]
| No less than Bill Gates himself said in a recent Fortune article that
| Microsoft competes better against Linux in China when there's piracy than
| when there isn't.
|
| So, Microsoft actively looks the other way as people pirate its software. It
| builds its market share that way, and lets people get used to the idea of
| having Windows at a certain price.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/commentary/64902.html

Microsoft accused of hacking in piracy clampdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Across China thousands of computer screens are turning dark. The reason is a
| piece of software from a US firm.
|
| Software giant Microsoft is deactivating unauthorised copies of its Windows
| operating system, in a nation where 82% of all software is pirated – even if
| many end users do not know it.
`----

http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/electronic-threats/dn15009-microsoft-accused-of-hacking-in-piracy-clampdown.html

Chinese fume at Microsoft anti-piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| China's vocal bloggers seemed stunned that their computers seemed to have
| phoned Microsoft for the anti-piracy tool without asking.
|
| "The computer is mine", one angry blogger penned, "Microsoft has no right to
| control my hardware without my agreement", the poor fool thought.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/22/chinese-fume-microsoft-anti

Microsoft sued in China for black screen of death

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/10/22/china_fury_microsoft_wga/