Re: [News] Telephone Card Patented, UK Talks Software Patents

____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 10 February 2008 08:18 : \____

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-40080/setexasrecord:recent-patent-copyright-infringement-cases-filed-in-u-s-district-courts

> Telephone cards were first used in the 1980s in large numbers, before
> the explosion of the mobile market in Europe and Asia.  We still have
> some card-phones around, but as pretty much everyone has a mobile, there
> are few call-boxes left.
>
> Cards are now more frequently used in mobile pre-pay services, where
> codes are entered and verified, so we're already on the 3rd generation
> of these things.
>
> Will someone *please* shut down the USPTO.

The almighty USPTO will carry on patenting and lawyers will make money just as
bankers make money by borrowing money to the Government at times of war (never
mind the need for reconstruction). Meanwhile, countries like India and China
will actually develop good products instead of suing and 'working around'
hurdles (making sub-optimal products as a result). When the recession levels
are exacerbated, America will shout "but we have patents!"

It will then turn out that the software patents = innovation equation doesn't
really parse.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
Tasks: 127 total,   1 running, 125 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie