Re: [News] Telephone Card Patented, UK Talks Software Patents

> Recent patent/copyright infringement cases filed in U.S. District Courts
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Electronic Data Systems of Plano claims it holds the rights to U.S. Patent
>| Nos. 7,156,300 and 7,255,268 which generally relate to a system and method
>| for electronic purchase of prepaid telephone services. The plaintiff's
>| original complaint describes the inventions whereby a customer can purchase a
>| specified amount of telephone service through a personal computer or an ATM
>| machine.
> `----
>
> http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-40080/setexasrecord:recent-patent-copyright-infringement-cases-filed-in-u-s-district-courts

Telephone cards were first used in the 1980s in large numbers, before
the explosion of the mobile market in Europe and Asia.  We still have
some card-phones around, but as pretty much everyone has a mobile, there
are few call-boxes left.

Cards are now more frequently used in mobile pre-pay services, where
codes are entered and verified, so we're already on the 3rd generation
of these things.

Will someone *please* shut down the USPTO.