[News] Struggling Company Choked by Patents, More 'IP' Madness

  • Subject: [News] Struggling Company Choked by Patents, More 'IP' Madness
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:53:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Patent court affirms Kodak win over Ampex

,----[ Quote ]
| Financially struggling Ampex, which replaced its CEO last February, was
| founded in 1944 and was once considered a Silicon Valley innovator. It is
| credited with inventing the commercial video recorder in 1956 and first U.S.
| tape recorder in 1948.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0738294220080207

The Crime of Selling Abandoned Copies

,----[  Quote]
| If you came across a trash can filled with lawfully made compact discs and
| DVDs that the copyright owner had authorized to be put in that trash can and
| then thrown away because it didn’t want to pay the postage to have them
| returned, do you think you could be criminally prosecuted for selling those
| copies, and would you think that the copyright owners would be entitled to
| restitution under the Mandatory Victims Restitution Act? If you answered no
| to these questions, you would be wrong according to the Eighth Circuit.
`----

http://williampatry.blogspot.com/2008/02/crime-of-selling-abandoned-copies.html

Watch this cartoon about imaginary monopolies.

http://ubersoft.net/comic/hd/2007/

Related:

My Dumb Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The first patent was provisionally filed in 2000 and has been "in process"
| for the last 8 years. Yes, I said 8 years. Many think that Software Patents
| are stupid. I conceptually agree with this statement. Having spent what seems
| like millions of hours constructing these, baby sitting them, defending them;
| it is really all wasted time and effort, at least in a conceptual sense.
| There is no way for a software engineer or system architect to have any idea
| what exists out there to either copy or avoid (whatever the motivation).
`----

http://falseprecision.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/my-dumb-softwar.html

When Patents Threaten Science

,----[ Quote ]