[News] Linux OLPC Successes; Microsoft Still Wants to 'Addict' Children Using the Project

  • Subject: [News] Linux OLPC Successes; Microsoft Still Wants to 'Addict' Children Using the Project
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:57:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
XO As A Tool To Preserve Language/Culture

,----[ Quote ]
| The development team at OLPC Nepal have been working hard on developing
| various learning activities for children using the XO. A significant area in
| which they have been making progress has been in creating activities to help
| children learn their local dialect.
|
| The first dialect to be setup for use on the XO is Limbu. This is a
| Tibeto-Burman language spoken by more than 300,000 people in eastern Nepal as
| well as parts of Myanmar, Bhutan and India.
`----

http://olpcnepal.blogspot.com/2007/03/xo-as-tool-to-preserve-languageculture.html

XP for OLPC is almost here

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, not everyone is happy about the Microsoft camel putting its nose
| in the OLPC tent. Bruce Perens, an open-source leader of long standing,
| argued that Microsoft is trying to grab control of the OLPC to ensure that
| Windows, and not Linux, will be what the next generation of computer users
| will learn to accept as the one desktop standard.
|
| [...]
|
| It's a great pity that a project that began as an effort to put inexpensive
| computing power into the hands of even the poorest of the poor, not to
| mention showing how open-source software lent itself so well to such a plan,
| has been hijacked into delays and multibillion-dollar corporate politics.

Why Microsoft Must Control One Laptop Per Child

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a threat Microsoft can't let stand: the entire third world learning
| Linux as children, and growing up to use it. And Microsoft is going to get
| its way.
|
| It comes after a sudden wave of SCO-like problems for the OLPC project. A
| specious patent lawsuit over keyboards. Board-member Intel thrown out of the
| project for attempting to convince national governments to drop OLPC
| purchases and go with its own (Windows) product. First, OLPC is shown what
| its problems will be if it doesn't cooperate with Microsoft. Then, Microsoft
| approaches with money and technical help - you just have to run Windows to
| get it.
|
| [...]
|
| Unfortunately, I don't believe that Microsoft's intent toward the OLPC
| project is at all benign. They will promote their OLPC software load for
| DRM-locked content with the help of proprietary publishers who are threatened
| enough by open content to throw some zero cost but DRM locked e-books to the
| third world. If they can get governments to commit to the DRM-locked content
| on your platform, a non-Microsoft OS is going to be out of the race.
|
| Also, nobody who wants an open platform for the third world is
| being "religious" about it, promoting sound public policy is not religion.
| I'm really tired of hearing that old saw brought up, please stop it.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/1/10/33518

OLPC in the News (Part 2)

,----[ Quote ]
| Between Microsoft employees and third party contractors that we have brought
| into the effort, we have over 40 engineers working full-time on the port. We
| started the project around the beginning of the year and think it will be
| mid-2008 at the earliest before we could have a production-quality release.
`----

http://blogs.technet.com/jamesu/archive/2007/12/05/olpc-in-the-news-part-2.aspx

Microsoft denies dual-boot Linux/Windows XO laptops are on its agenda

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like the head of the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Chief Nicholas
| Negroponte is not only alienating Intel, but Microsoft, too.
`----

http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?shownews=13468

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! I’m impressed, Steve! What have you done for these guys to change their
| mind like this? It’s pretty clear to me, and it will be clear to everyone.
| How do you call what you just did Steve, in the place where you live? In my
| place, they give it various names, I’m sure you know them.
|
| Hey Steve, how do you feel looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning?
|
| Of course, I will keep fighting this one and the next one, and the next one.
| You have the money, the power, and maybe we have a different sense of ethics
| you and I, but I believe that hard work, good technology and ethics can win
| too.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates earlier this year told the Microsoft
| Government Leaders Forum, "Geez, get a decent computer where you can
| actually read the text and you?re not sitting there cranking the thing
| while you're trying to type" (see Bill Gates Mocks $100 Laptop).
`----

http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html