[News] Open Source Turns 10, Avionica Chooses GPLv3 for Portal Technology

  • Subject: [News] Open Source Turns 10, Avionica Chooses GPLv3 for Portal Technology
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 16:04:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
State of Open Source Message: A New Decade For Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| My previous reports have discussed SCO. SCO is toast. Good riddance. However,
| many in our community have been damaged by SCO's allegations and will never
| be compensated. Mr. Ralph Yarro made some tens of millions from the rise of
| SCO's stock on anticipation that they'd win something. He has been allowed to
| keep those funds. I see no suit, legal charge, or SEC investigation against
| him so far. We must also note Microsoft's participation as financial backer
| of SCO, as revealed in sworn testimony during the case.
`----

http://perens.com/works/articles/State8Feb2008/

Avionica Releases Iridium(TM) Portal Technology Under Open Source License

,----[ Quote ]
| Avionica will be releasing the Iridium(TM) Portal technology under the GNU
| GPLv3 license. Under these terms, any licensee who makes improvements to the
| source must re-submit those improvements to the community under like terms.
| For more information on the Avionica Iridium(TM) Portal, please contact Raul
| Segredo.
`----

http://sev.prnewswire.com/telecommunications/20080207/CLTH11707022008-1.html

Related:

We have submitted AGPL to OSI

,----[ Quote ]
| If you follow open source, or at least this blog, you remember the debate
| around GPL and the ASP loophole. In a nutshell, companies using a trick to
| avoid returning changes to the code back to the community. The last chapter
| is that AGPL v3 (the GPL version that fixes the ASP loophole) was finalized
| in November, and we switched the Funambol project to it.
`----

http://www.funambol.com/blog/capo/2008/02/we-have-submitted-agpl-to-osi.html

GPL v3 Year in Review

,----[ Quote ]
| We welcome 2008 with open arms as we say goodbye to 2007. Looking back, since
| the release of the GPL v3, the license has grow quickly and consistently
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2007/12/gpl-v3-year-in-review.html

Free Software Foundation Releases GNU Affero General Public License Version 3

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today published the GNU Affero General
| Public License version 3 (GNU AGPLv3). This is a new license; it is based on
| version 3 of the GNU General Public License (GNU GPLv3), but has an
| additional term to allow users who interact with the licensed software over a
| network to receive the source for that program. By publishing this license,
| the FSF aims to foster user and development communities around
| network-oriented free software.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/agplv3-pr

A Quick Guide to GPLv3

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

Mark Webbink On: GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| This week Mark Webbink, former Red Hat General Counsel discusses the GPLv3
| and talks about the limits of sharing, the mellowing out of Linus Torvalds,
| and issues with the LGPLv3.
`----

http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/2007/10/26/mark-webbink-on-gplv3/#comments

Sun tiptoes into GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems will release its xVM Ops Center virtualisation management
| application under the General Public Licence version 3 (GPLv3), the company
| revealed at the Oracle OpenWorld conference in San Francisco.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2203486/sun-tiptoes-gplv3

Why does Microsoft seem scared of GPLv3?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is extremely keen to avoid "legal debate" over whether its recent
| partnerships with Linux firms such as Novell, Xandros, and Linspire, mean
| Redmond must assume any of the new licenses' legal obligations.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Why-does-Microsoft-seem-scared-of-GPLv3-/0,130061733,339279673,00.htm

FSF Says GPLv3 Means Microsoft Patent Protection for All

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=E86B6EA6-EC51-43DF-A305-9939E5829EFC