[News] Microsoft/Citrix Already Try to Kill Xen, Time to Fork

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft/Citrix Already Try to Kill Xen, Time to Fork
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 06:24:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Citrix strays far from XenSource’s original open source mission

,----[ Quote ]
| “Citrix is not a virtualization company,” said Phil Montgomery, Senior
| Director of Citrix’s Virtualization and Management Division. “We’re not
| trying to be another VMware. Citrix is an application delivery software
| company.”
|
| In spite of that new positioning, XenSource is — or was — a virtualization
| company. But the competitive equation is now Microsoft + Citrix versus
| VMware, Montgomery told ZDNet last night.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1984

Also this:

Citrix strips XenSource of virtualization, open source...everything

,----[ Quote ]
| Citrix either got completely snowed in the acquisition or, much more likely,
| it's getting pressure from its bosom-buddy, Microsoft. What it's not getting
| is much value for its $500 million.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9866973-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

A bit like Trolltech and Nokia? Acquire-to-destroy is the new weapon of the
monopolists. Why invent when it's cheaper to actively sabotage rivals?

Recent:

Microsoft, Citrix grow alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. and Citrix Systems said they have expanded their alliance to
| deliver and market joint virtualization products with Windows Server 2008.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/080122/1579676.html?.v=1

Citrix Systems Tops Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| Citrix completed the acquisition of open source virtualization developer
| XenSource about halfway through the quarter. It added $2 million to Citrix
| revenue. XenSource is expected to generate $50 million in revenue for 2008
| and about $50 million to $60 million in expenses.
|
| For 2009, XenSource is expected to contribute $200 million to the top line.
| The bulk of that will come from its server products, CEO Mark Templeton said.
| XenSource desktop virtualization products will initially be used in corporate
| pilot programs.
|
| "We think we can build in the server virtualization market the same kind of
| symbiotic relationship with Microsoft (MSFT - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr)
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| that we had with [the Citrix] Presentation Server," which works atop Windows
| Server, Templeton said. "We'll be the third player in server virtualization"
| after VMware (VMW - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) and partner Microsoft.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/techsoftware/10400121.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA

Related:

Microsoft targets VMware with new strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Citrix is developing a software tool that helps Microsoft's Hyper-V
| virtualization feature in the upcoming Windows Server 2008 to work more
| easily with Citrix's XenServer product.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has acquired a start-up company called Calista Technologies and
| expanded its alliance with Citrix Systems, targeting VMware's early lead in
| virtualization technology.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6227023.html

Microsoft Pushes Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft announced that it competed acquisituion of Calista Technologies, a
| San Jose, Calif.-based start-up that makes computer graphics for virtualized
| computers, and an expanded partnership with Citrix Systems  (nasdaq: CTXS -
| news  -  people ), a VMware competitor based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
| Microsoft and Citrix will jointly market services that "virtualize"
| computers, operating systems and applications.
|
| Microsoft's shot across the bow at VMware is inevitable as companies
| throughout industry shift to Web-based services. "Microsoft needs to get
| something into the market quickly," says Roger Kay, president of technology
| research firm Endpoint Technologies Associate. "Windows Office has 10 years
| to burn, but it will become less relevant."
|
| [...]
|
| A Microsoft-Citrix combination could present formidable competition to
| VMware, he suggests. Buying Citrix, however, would be a significant deal: The
| company has a market capitalization of $6.4 billion.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/20/microsoft-vmware-calista-tech-cx_wt_0121microsoft.html

For Citrix, Target Acquired

,----[ Quote ]
| You said earlier this year that Citrix is an "admirer" of Microsoft for its
| innovation, Adobe for its strong brand and Apple for its easy-to-use
| products. After watching your swift acquisition pace and the kind of
| companies you target for acquisition, I would argue Citrix is patterned more
| after Cisco Systems. Do you think that's a reasonable argument?
|
| You are thinking of the acquisition point of view instead of the comments I
| made. Those were about role models. Cisco has not been a role model for our
| acquisitions. They are a fabulous company. We love Cisco. When I talk about
| Microsoft, Adobe and Apple, they are role models for the things I cited.
|
| I happen to be a huge believer in role models. It's pragmatic: If someone
| does something really well, study it and translate that into your own
| business. I think it applies to companies and people. The way you better
| yourself is to find someone you want to be like and try to be like them. That
| impacts the way we work at Citrix.

Ballmer: Microsoft Will Buy Open-Source Companies

,----[ Quote ]
| "We will do some buying of companies that are built around open-source
| products," Ballmer said during an onstage interview at the Web 2.0 Summit in
| San Francisco.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/202404305

Is Microsoft Hijacking Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| What really worries me is what looks like an emerging pattern in Microsoft's
| behaviour. The EU agreement is perhaps the first fruit of this, but I predict
| it will not be the last. What is happening is that Microsoft is effectively
| being allowed to define the meaning of “open source” as it wishes, not as
| everyone else understands the term. For example, in the pledge quoted above,
| an open source project is “not commercially distributed by its
| participants” - and this is a distinction also made by Kroes and her FAQ.
|
| In this context, the recent approval of two Microsoft licences as
| officially “open source” is only going to make things worse. Although I felt
| this was the right decision – to have ad hoc rules just because it's
| Microsoft would damage the open source process - I also believe it's going to
| prove a problem. After all, it means that Microsoft can rightfully point to
| its OSI-approved licences as proof that open source and Microsoft no longer
| stand in opposition to each other. This alone is likely to perplex people who
| thought they understood what open source meant.
|
| [...]
|
| What we are seeing here are a series of major assaults on different but
| related fields – open source, open file formats and open standards. All are
| directed to one goal: the hijacking of the very concept of openness. If we
| are to stop this inner corrosion, we must point out whenever we see wilful
| misuse and lazy misunderstandings of the term, and we must strive to make the
| real state of affairs quite clear. If we don't, then core concepts like “open
| source” will be massaged, kneaded and pummelled into uselessness.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1003745

Will Microsoft Buy the New Citrix?

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware, holding some 85 percent of the market, with its VI3 technologies
| offers a fully integrated stack and represents a third generation of
| virtualization technology, while Viridian and Xen-based products, including
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, XenEnterprise
| and Virtual Iron, remain second-generation products, the report stated.

Heady Days for Virtual Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The former Microsoft Latest News about Microsoft general manager is
| now vice president of XenSource, a Palo Alto, Calif., virtualization
| company with a growing outpost in Redmond, Wash.

What the XenSource deal says about open source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/what_the_xensou.html