[News] Oracle and Microsoft Think Alike, Abuse Competitors Instead of Improving

  • Subject: [News] Oracle and Microsoft Think Alike, Abuse Competitors Instead of Improving
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 06:17:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mike Olson, co-founder of Sleepycat, leaves Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| Mike sold Sleepyat, an open-source embedded database company, to Oracle back
| in February 2006. Much to my aggravation, I've never heard a negative word
| out of his mouth about his two-year stay with Oracle, either in public or
| private. Mike is class and gave to his employer what was due, and then some.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9867025-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Just comes to show that Oracle bought Sleepyat merely to 'punish' rivals.

What Microsoft can learn from Oracle: greed and market share

,----[ Quote ]
| So while Microsoft attempts to persuade the world that it just wants to
| befriend everyone, Oracle buys, fires thousands of people, and makes a lot of
| money in the process. Oracle's method isn't pretty and it's certainly not the
| only way (nor is it the way that I'd personally choose), but it has been
| effective.
|
| For Microsoft to compete it may have to start owning up to its ambition. It
| wants market share. It wants dominance. It wants to remove customer choice.
| Just like Oracle.
|
| It might as well tell it like it is.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9866742-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Old:

Will Oracle launch Unbreakable MySQL?

,----[ Quote ]
| "They have hinted to us that they will," said Mickos, indicating
| that the database giant is planning to repeat its October 2006
| Unbreakable Linux plan, which saw it undercut Red Hat with
| enterprise Linux support.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/will_oracle_lau.html

Oracle Rumored to Covet Ingres