Re: [News] [Rival] RIP Microsoft ActiveX (Government Wants ActiveX Off)?

* Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:49:05 -0500, Linonut wrote:
>
>>> Ok, so you disable ActiveX, and everyone moves to Firefox.  Next thing you
>>> know Facebook and Myspace make Firefox plugins that contain similar
>>> vulnerabilities and everyone is getting infected by drive-by Firefox
>>> plug-ins.
>>
>> Yeah yeah yeah, Erik, I'm sure companies let their employees connect to
>> Facebook and MySpace.
>>
>> (Watching Firefox failing to connect right now.  It is obviously
>> firewalled, just like what happened to YouTube here recently.)
>
> So if the site is firewalled, how would a user with IE install the Facebook
> or Myspace Image uploaders?  Your argument works both ways.  Any company
> that allows (via domain security policy) arbitrary ActiveX installation is
> just as stupid as a company that allows arbitrary Firefox plug-ins.

I tend to agree.

>>> This is stuff users have installed to get features they want.
>>
>> People want sex, but they don't want the clap.
>
> Yet millions of people get some form of it every year.

It's those darn ActiveSex controls!

--
Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
   -- Bill Gates, Business @ The Speed of Thought (1999)