Re: [News] [Rival] RIP Microsoft ActiveX (Government Wants ActiveX Off)?

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:22:50 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ActiveX Controls Out of Control
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The federal agency's warning to disable all Internet Explorer ActiveX
>| controls might as well be recommendation to use Firefox—or Opera or Safari.
>| Hey, AOL, are you sure about pulling the plug on Netscape?
> `----
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/activex_controls_out_of_control.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

It always amuses me when I see people who really don't understand the
problem talking like they do.

The fact of the matter, the flaws that are prompting turning off ActiveX
have nothing whatsoever to do with ActiveX.  Those same flaws would be
present in any kind of plug-in.

Ok, so you disable ActiveX, and everyone moves to Firefox.  Next thing you
know Facebook and Myspace make Firefox plugins that contain similar
vulnerabilities and everyone is getting infected by drive-by Firefox
plug-ins.

Everyone complains that ActiveX is bad because it allows automatic
installation of code, but the fact of the matter is, people will jump
through any hoop to install that crap themselves.

This is stuff users have installed to get features they want.