[News] [Rival] Cisco Sinks Amid Sea of Change (Free Software and GNU/Linux)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Cisco Sinks Amid Sea of Change (Free Software and GNU/Linux)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 14:34:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Cisco shares sink on forecast

,----[ Quote ]
| The San Jose-based company's guidance of 10 percent sales growth in the third
| fiscal quarter fell below the 15 percent projection by Wall Street analysts.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080206/ap_on_hi_te/earns_cisco

Cisco appears to be moving to Linux now, just like 3Com. They try FOSS as well.

Related:

Cisco says hurt by weak banks; shares dive

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco Systems CEO John Chambers said on Wednesday his company was hit
| by "dramatic decreases" in orders from U.S. banks, triggering concerns about
| its growth prospects and sending its shares plunging.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6217524.html

The Business Partner Cisco Needs Most

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, in its battle against Microsoft for unified communications dominance,
| it's time for Cisco to reach out to a key software company: Red Hat. Here are
| seven reasons why Cisco needs Red Hat in its corner -- fast.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/21575

Tech stocks drop after Cisco warning

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071109/ap_on_hi_te/high_tech_comedown

Upgraded Vyatta software attempts to make users think twice about Cisco

,----[ Quote ]
| Since its debut in February 2006, Vyatta’s network software has been
| downloaded nearly 100,000 times, the company says. Like other Linux and open
| source programs, VC3 runs on commodity x86 hardware, which allows for low
| cost purchase and implementation , proponents say.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/110107-vyatta-upgrades-software.html?ts0hb&story=ab5_vyatta

Vyatta Delivers Twice the Performance of Cisco at Half the Price

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta today announced the release of independent third-party testing
| results from The Tolly Group that measured the throughput and
| performance of the open-source, x86-based Vyatta router and
| firewall appliance versus the proprietary Cisco 2821 ISR.
|
| "This report shatters the myth that proprietary hardware products
| are a better choice than standard x86-based systems for network
| infrastructure," said Dave Roberts, VP of strategy and marketing
| at Vyatta. "For the majority of routing applications, open-source
| software and x86-based hardware can easily address the performance
| requirements and at significantly lower price points."
`----

http://www.topix.net/content/prweb/2794294903426800112404643709233288209670

3Com's CEO sees company as a US-Asia trendsetter

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: Has your Linux strategy helped against competitors?
|
| ER [Edgar Masri]: We have an open strategy, which is open source based on
| Linux. Many networking companies are starting to do that, but I believe we
| have an 18-month head start. We recognize customers want open architecture
| and source, mainly in small and medium businesses. We also have the Open
| Services Networking architecture. One very large customer wanted better
| network monitoring and had made a clear choice about the application it
| wanted to use, and said we were doing it better than other providers.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1001666527

3Com Brings Enterprise-Caliber IP Telephony to SMBs

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of 3Com's commitment to providing the platform and support for
| clients to implement best-of-breed Open Source solutions, the company also is
| launching the 3Com Asterisk Appliance, an Open Source voice-over-IP (VoIP)
| system based on Digium's Asterisk Appliance.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-3com-brings-enterprise-caliber-ip-telephony-smbs-/2007/10/01/2980799.htm

3Com ‘reenters’ RP, bets on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Orcun Tezel, technical director of 3Com South Asia, explained that although
| 3Com routers and switches now come with pre-integrated open-source
| applications, its Open Services Networking (OSN) further
| allows "best-ofbreed" applications to run on the Linux-based platform.
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20070904101906.html

3Com chooses an open strategy

,----[ Quot ]
| The OSN infrastructure runs on Linux.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0,39044192,62030960,00.htm

3Com, IBM extend VOIP/messaging interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| The VCX/Sametime interoperability also extends to 3Com and IBM
| software running on stand-alone servers. (3Com ships VCX systems
| on a Linux-based appliance, and IBM's Sametime runs on a variety
| of operating systems and server hardware).
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=87960963&rid=-50

3Com: Turnaround Depends on IBM Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| And that open source voice over IP system, called Asterisk, has reached
| its tipping point. But instead of ignoring such threats, 3Com appears
| ready to embrace them. In fact, I hear that 3Com plans to address
| the Asterisk market within the next few months.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070323/30493_id.html?.v=1

3Com Evaluating Askerisk Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| The manager politely danced around the question, then indicated that
| 3Com planned to address Asterisk without necessarily competing with
| the open source system. Sounds like 3Com is piecing together a
| strategy to embrace Asterisk. Could there be a partnership or
| acquisition around the corner?
|
| [...]
|
| Supporting Asterisk would propel 3Com?s open platform strategy
| forward.
`----

http://techiqmag.com/2007/02/26/3com-evaluating-askerisk-strategy/

3Com touts open source

,----[ Quote ]
| 3Com's OSN module is a Linux-based server blade that fits into
| the company's 6000 series routers. It is designed to run
| applications that benefit from being close to the network
| layer, the company says.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/012907-3com-open-source.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

3Com introduces first 'open services' product

,----[ Quote ]
| Launched at the end of last year, OSN is basically an effort to bring
| some server capabilities into network appliances by using a
| Linux-based server blade, as well as to allow users to plug
| open-source modules into the appliance.
|
| [...]
|
| Interestingly, there is a twist in 3Com's adoption of open source:
| Its founder, Metcalfe, was once known to be anti-open source.
| Fortunately, Metcalfe has since become a convert in line with the OSN.
`----

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070611.Q01&irec=0

Networks finally learning to work together

,----[ Quote ]
| A more technically interesting solution that 3Com has just rolled out is a
| Linux blade running in its high end switches.
|
| "Imagine a switch or router with a little bit of extra hardware
| running Linux. We are inviting our partners to put their stuff on
| there, essentially a Linux PC on a blade. It's not about replacing
| servers, it's about putting an app into the network, like WAN
| optimization, packet analysis, netflow, security, things like
| this," he said.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0,39044192,62017006,00.htm

Cisco is hiring for multiple Open Source positions

,----[ Quote ]
| And it is hiring Open Source enthusiasts to fill its technical positions.
| Read on to know whether you fit the job profile.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/11/cisco-is-hiring-for-multiple-open.html

Cisco offers up safe mapping tool as open source

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first we've come across an open source tool from Cisco. What are
| the others it has offered?
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/18481

Chambers: We're Not Plumbers Anymore

| by internetnews.com Chambers responded, "I think that open source or
| open content is the future. You want to be able to create your own
| content and we want to do that empowerment."
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3684241#49977821313266324796

Cisco reseller insults open source

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe that open source is something to be proud of and not the liability
| that you claim it to be. Cisco claims to have developed their own operating
| system, but I doubt that they started from scratch. What they probably did is
| base it on BSD-licensed code, since there is no requirement to redistribute
| their modifications. This is yet another reason to support the GPL over BSD
| type licenses.
`----

http://useopensource.blogspot.com/2007/09/cisco-reseller-insults-open-source.html

Cisco Unwires Linux Symposium

,----[ Quote ]
| "Cisco embraces the Linux community and appreciates the opportunity to
| work directly with them at this event."
|
| "With a major event like the Linux Symposium we have to get hundreds of
| laptops networked in a relatively small area," said Andrew Hutton,
| founder of the Linux Symposium.
`----

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/982333/cisco_unwires_linux_symposium/index.html?source=r_technology#551307969947958244

Award-winning Snort creator Roesch shares secrets of his success

,----[ Quote ]
| "We've been extremely successful in the financial services world. You can try
| to ban open source software all you want, but if you're buying your
| infrastructure from Cisco, you're actually employing a lot of Linux. Most
| security technologies run on top of Linux. You can only ban it so far. Even
| the people who actually build your equipment are using it."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/121377

Open source router on par with Cisco, users say

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1218088,00.html