Re: [News] [Rival] Is Microsoft Secretly Low on Cash? (Reuters)

Jerry McBride <jmcbride@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I really, really, really ope the deal goes through. It would be of Titantic
> proportions... hehehe

I tend to be rather cautious about predicting the imminent demise
of Microsoft, but if they do take on debt to buy Yahoo, and then they
fail to compete effective with google (draining the value out of that
investment)... well, it would certainly knock them down a peg.
Without the cushion of a big cash pile, they become much more
vulnerable to competitive pressures.  There ability to lose money
on new ventures to absorb market share would certainly be limited.

Of course they still have a very large and profitable install base
of Windows and Office customers, and they can extract a lot of
revenue from that for a long time even if it goes into decline
(which currently it is not).  Don't look for MS to collapse any
time soon, though I also wouldn't bet on them keeping revenue on
an upward track forever.

Thad
all the ingredients on the label.