Re: [Rival] Microsoft's Windows Vista Found to Be Not Secure

____/ [H]omer on Monday 04 February 2008 22:03 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Rex Ballard spake thusly:
>
>> With Linux, you can use CPIO or Tar to copy all of the files in a
>> partition, even while the operating system is running
>
> Those backups won't necessarily be consistent though, unless one uses
> something like LVM snapshots (as I do).
>
>> With Windows, you can't back up files that are open
>
> Actually you can, provided the tool you're using hooks into the Shadow
> Copy service. Unfortunately, surprisingly few applications do, including
> (frustratingly) chkdsk and some third party disk utilities. Presumably
> Shadow Copy is one of Microsoft's many "Intellectual Monopolies" that
> they're so paranoid about protecting.

My guess is that Microsoft is trying very hard to stop the US military from
migrating to RHEL (which they do). The army's technology (not people out there
in the field) are not stupid, but if Microsoft can single out an MBA type and
hand over a rubbish-worthy report from Jeff Jones, then one or two idiots
might think that the code spaghetti called Vista is better than a
well-engineered enterprise Linux that is tested and designed as though it was
a science of perfection.

Roy S. Schestowitz     | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O
 00:00:01 up 11 days,  9:54,  3 users,  load average: 1.98, 1.37, 1.29