Re: 1 million Linux gadgets a day

____/ Rex Ballard on Monday 04 February 2008 19:28 : \____

> On Feb 4, 7:34 am, cc <scatnu...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> According to 7 there are 1 million new
>> Linux gadgets being sold a day.
>
> That's probably and understatment.  According to a cite given by Roy,
> there were 4 billion embedded devices shipped last year, and about 1/3
> of those were Linux, which would average out to about 3.6 million
> Linux gadgets per day.
>
>> So under the GPL the source has to
>> be made available correct?
>
> True.  Remember though, that only the GPL code needs to be made
> available.  The vendor may NOT be required to give source to other
> pieces, such as:
>    Modules called by the kernel as .so libraries.
>    Modules interfacing to the kernel via LGPL libraries such as glibc,
> when those libraries are loaded as .so libraries.
>
>> Where can I get the source to these unnamed gadgets?
>
> Linksys actually gives you links to their kernel.
> There are even some OSS projects for turning some of the devices into
> more "general purpose" computers.
>
>> Is it on a CD if I purchase it?
>
> No, but you can download it from the vendor, or the vendor may just
> list which kernel is used, and you can get the source through the
> usual channels.  There are several flavors of embedded Linux for the
> ARM chip that can be downloaded into computers based on that chipset.
> You will still need to know how to download into flash, and how to
> access the various ports.
>
>> If so, which gadget. Specifically I'm interested in my
>> flat screen tv, and ps3.
>
> Sony flat screens use embedded Linux,
>
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=26800445
> http://tinyurl.com/25smyh
>
> This link talks about how to get the Linux source.
> http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/
>
> Some additional information about Embedded Linux.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_Linux
>
>> Your friend in the anti-Microsoft war,
>
> Hope that helps
> Sorry you got so much flak first.
>
> Rex Ballard
> http://www.open4success.org

cc,

See:

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

ARM recently said that it sold its 10,000,000,000th chip, IIRC.

Many things are computers nowadays. Linux is a commodity and de facto platform
in many cases. Another recent study showed that more and more devices will
move from a custom-made simplistic platform to something such as Linux.

The claim is the subject line may actually be an underestimate. Do not expect
the mainstream media, which is largely owned by wealthy corporations, to tell
you very much about it.

"We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows
technically more."

                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft