[News] Goodwill, Justice, Idealism Drive Free Software and Linux

  • Subject: [News] Goodwill, Justice, Idealism Drive Free Software and Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:49:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Idealism and FOSS, buddies to the end

,----[ Quote ]
| I think humans are inherently hopeful. So many of us focus on ideals. We are
| always concerned about things being "fair" and the way things "should" be.
| That is the underpinnings of idealism.
|
| [...]
|
| Cooperation, sharing, allowing free access, etc these are all ideals. Things
| that we as humans feel are the ways things "should be". These are what Linux
| and Open Source are all about. Not only the technical work it produces, but
| the spirit of Community it allows as well.
`----

http://linuxgeeksunited.blogspot.com/2008/01/idealism-and-foss-buddies-to-end.html

Related:

Altruism and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The story illustrates a point. That is, open source goals are often
| directed outward, not inward. It's not, I'm going to make money, but
| we're going to accomplish some larger goal.
|
| Often the target of open source ambition is the customer. Open
| source projects drive out costs and bring savings, which multiply
| as customers learn more about their open source tools.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=795

Why Do Some Software Programmers Work for Free?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, the results suggest that a potential monetary payoff down the
| line does motivate software developers to be more productive, but many
| developers are still attracted to the movement for things besides pecuniary
| rewards. They just don't seem to work as hard.
`----

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/odd-numbers/2007/08/31/why-do-some-software-programmers-work-for-free

Father of microloans sees end to poverty

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/335705_yunus17.html