Re: Why Microsoft (and Its Shills) Lie About Linux Installed Base

On Feb 2, 5:37 pm, Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.st...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:55:55 -0800 (PST), Rex Ballard wrote:
> > Remember that browser based statistics only show who has the most
> > desktops attached to public IP addresses, not the number of desktops
> > accessing the site.

> Absurd at it's best.
> Did it ever occur to you that by your criteria, the Windows and Mac
> desktops are hamstrung by the same situation?

The question is the proportion to which each environment is
hamstrung.  AOL, MSN, and other dial-up services are more oriented
toward Windows users, especially home users.  With DHCP, if MSN
controls 10 class A addresses, that would be 160 million IP
addresses.  If I just have 6 million users dialing in every day,
getting a new DHCP address each day, every address would be cycled.
Windows has more home users, who have limited budgets or limited use
of the internet, and would just dial in at night.

Mac users tend to have higher incomes, and would be more likely to use
cable modems or DSL connections.  They are also more likely to move
from home to work if they have a laptop.

Linux home users are more likely to use a Linux powered router such as
a Linksys or D-Link, or a WiFi hub, because they typically share their
connection with other members of the family who are using Windows.
The result is that even though they have a DHCP address, the router
will automatically keep renewing it, pretty much until the power goes
out.

Linux systems used in businesses probably wouldn't get counted at all,
since many are point of service (POS) terminals, such as bank teller
workstations, cash registers, and other highly visible environments
where web browsing is very unlikely.  Others are used as call center
workstations, where workers are carefully measured for statistical
performance - not a good environment for casual browsing.

Even Linux systems used in offices aren't likely to show up in browser
surveys, since most corporations run Linux behind corporate firewalls
which are usually of the NAT variety, making an office building with
2,000 workers look like ONE IP address.

> More loony thinking by, well, by a loon.

And a  lame response by a WinTroll who wasn't thinking for himself at
all when he wrote it.

Rex Ballard
http://www.open4success.org