[News] Australia to Sell OLPCs, University of Ulster Tries Some Also

  • Subject: [News] Australia to Sell OLPCs, University of Ulster Tries Some Also
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:33:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OLPC XO laptops to be sold in Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been a lot of talk about the OLPC's cute little mesh networking
| laptop at Linux.conf.au this week.
`----

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/tips/2008/02/01/olpc_xo_laptops_to_be_sold_in.html

Empey Backs 'Open Source' Software Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| Johnny Wallace of the University of Ulster and Minister Sir Reg Empey examine
| one of the new 'One Laptop Per Child' (OLPC) devices at the at the OPEN-NI
| launch.
`----

http://news.ulster.ac.uk/releases/2008/3591.html

Related:

Australia To Trial OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| In a surprise announcement, the government of the Northern Territory
| has announced that they are testing the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)
| machines with a view to launching trials in remote communities.
|
| The OLPC has been designed for children in the developing world, in
| regions that struggle for basic infrastructure like clean running
| water, and electricity. So it may come as a surprise to some that
| an Australian state government has put up a hand to trial the new
| laptops.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Australia_To_Trial_OLPC

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

LANCOR's Adé Oyegbola Answers Groklaw's Questions About OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ: Thank you for responding. I think you misunderstand then one thing about
| OLPC. OLPC is a recognized charity under the law. Selling a laptop for cost
| does not make them commercial, Ade.
|
| Many of my readers have been asking me, and I hope you do not feel insulted
| if I ask on their behalf, but is there any connection or have you had any
| contact with Microsoft or Intel?

Local OEMs boycott Microsoft, Intel

,----[ Quote ]
`----