[News] Op-ed: Microsoft's 'Embrace' of Open Source is Sinister

  • Subject: [News] Op-ed: Microsoft's 'Embrace' of Open Source is Sinister
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:29:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Why Behind Microsoft's OSS Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| What they are not telling you is the why behind all of this. Why are they
| establishing an open source policy in the first place? Why not start a
| misleading marketing plan and discredit Linux and its fellow open source
| applications right out of business?
|
| Well, for one thing, they have. And, for the most part, it did not work.
| People in IT looked at the Get the Facts campaign and decided that facts were
| something the campaign seriously lacked. In the end, all it seemed to do was
| bring more attention to Linux than before, leading many IT organizations to
| come to the conclusion that Linux is indeed a viable alternative.
|
| [...]
|
| I will admit that this may be a reach. But I also think, with Microsoft's
| ongoing legal woes and the threat of the LAMP space forever closed to them
| using their traditional business practices, this whole notion of competing
| with open source on open source terms does not sound so far fetched.
|
| If this is the plan, the OSS community should be ready to respond.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-02-01-021-26-OP-MS-SV

Quote for the day:

"To me, Bill is the great white shark that looks at minnows with no more
consciousness than we look at a plate of food. The shark has no soul. The
shark knows no boundaries. All it has is an appetite. When the shark gets
hungry, it thinks “I’m hungry”, so it eats."

                                --Mitch Kertzman, former CEO of Sybase

Related:

Microsoft’s open-source strategy: A picture is worth a thousand words

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1142