Re: [News] Australia to Embrace Creative Commons, Lessig Might Enter Congress

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Well done on that tobacco thing, H. I understand that you are/were a
>> smoker,
>
> I still am, but I can tell you that I'd be overjoyed if they banned it.
>
> Of course that would just drive it underground, like other drugs, but
> it'd be a great disincentive for me. I wouldn't go looking for it on
> street corners.

I gave up several years ago, and am happy to have done so.  It's
excellent being able to walk into pubs now without passively smoking a
few fags.  Sometimes, after really smokey pubs, I used to get a nicotine
headache in the morning, but no longer.

>> maybe since they days they overdosed the nicotine and denied (as in
>> global warming denial) health implication. Watch the BBC Web site by
>> the way. Resarch on cellphones and cancer... I dumped cellphones in
>> 2003. Good for me...
>
> That's an old one. Probably only really affects people who spend all day
> on the phone. There's also the question of the relay masts and overhead
> power lines. Heck, if you live near a granite quarry you're subjected to
> higher than average radiation. There's an old (sand) quarry near me
> that's been in the news recently ... they want to use it to dump
> radioactive waste! How thoughtful.

I suspect that the physical act of holding a phone pressed against the
face for several hours will be more damaging than anything from EM
radiation, which I suspect is relatively minor, particularly at the
kinds of power levels handsets use.  There's barely enough power in a
phone battery to keep an incandescent bulb lit for more than a few
hours, let alone cook anything by EM.