Re: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Claimed to Be the Best of FOSS

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
1566587.W5WQefoMUG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 2/17/08 7:48 AM:

>>> Ubuntu 7.10 - The Best Version.
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/203/1/
>>
>> While Ubuntu is a very solid distribution, I think its excellent
>> marketing is the thing that has put it out front.
>
> I've always thought it was the free CDs (and shipping) that gave it momentum.

While that helps in some cases it also deters - not because the idea is bad
but the implementation... it takes forever and, all too often, the CDs never
show up.  I had a class where a number of kids ordered them... months later
most had not received there.  I did hand out free copies but they wanted the
"official" ones with the labels.

--
The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and