Re: [Roy Schestowitz has double standards] [Rival] A New Look at Microsoft's Legalised Bribery of Congress (was: [News] [Rival] A New Look at Microsoft's Legalised Bribery of Congress)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:34:38 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 04:59:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Mr. Microsoft goes to Washington
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| As I suspected, Microsoft spends a whole lot more than that on lobbying. For
>>| the first half of last year, Microsoft spent $4.78 million on lobbying
>>| activities, according to the report it filed with Congress. It's full-year
>>| 2007 report is not yet available.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9872573-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
>>
>> I'm appending some examples of Microsoft's political manipulation/corruption
>> from the past year.
>
> That's funny, in 2006 IBM spent over 8 Million dollars lobbying congress.
> Twice as much as Microsoft.  Yet, Microsoft is considered "corrupt" for
> doing so while i'm sure you believe IBM is "championing the cause".
>
> http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=IBM
>
> In fact, in 2003 a member of the house of representatives sought to
> investigate IBM's lobbying practices according to this site:
>
> http://www.ibmemployee.com/Highlights030913.shtml
>
> "Representative Sanders' Web site: Sanders Seeks Treasury Dept.
> Investigation into IBM Lobbying Practices [PDF--217 KB]. Excerpts: I
> appreciate the opportunity during today's Financial Services Committee we
> had to discuss, however briefly, the very distressing revelation that it
> appears "doctored" Treasury Department documents were used to lobby Members
> of Congress in opposition to the cash balance amendment which the House
> overwhelmingly adopted yesterday. Combating this type of fraud, in my view,
> goes beyond partisan differences people may have in general or more
> specific differences you or I or any one else may have with respect to cash
> balance pensions. What is at stake here is the integrity of your Department
> and the legislative process."
>
> Double standards, roy.
>
> Every major company lobby's congress.

Erik, pipes in with the "but they do it too!" defense.

Erik, the problem isn't lobbying, the problem, is corruption. No matter
*what* company is involved, including your precious Microsoft.

 In questions of science the authority of a thousand is not worth the
humble reasoning of a single individual.
    --Galileo