Re: [News] New Linux SDK Released by Google, Success Expected

> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 14 February 2008 11:36 : \____

>>> Google updates Android software development kit
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/021308-google-updates-android-software-development.html
>>>
>>> Your next phone could run Linux
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2139
>>>
>>> The previews look impressive. iPhone is closed, expensive and it is likely
>>> to fall behind Google.
>>>

>> The critical thing is to get some good 3G phones running Linux.
>> EDGE/2.5G is far too dated for any market apart from the US/Canada, as
>> Apple and Motorola have been discovering.
>
> Motorola has indeed been trying this for quite some time and it was getting
> some flak for failing to do so even with a thousand of so engineers. The good
> news comes from early this week, namely:
>
> 1. 3G Linux Smartphone Open Source Code to be Contributed
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| SYSOPENDIGIA has said that it will contribute back to open source the
>| software the company created and modified for a 3G Linux smartphone.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/16057/3g-linux-smartphone-open-source-code-be-contributed

Motorola were also getting quite a bit of flak for failing to make their
phones just a little more open.  There's been a lot of debate around
this, and there certainly is some argument with respect to network
security, however, I think allowing java-only is not necessarily the
best approach!

Still, I very much like my Motorola A780, and the GPS capability can be
quite handy, although for car navigation, my TomTom 910 appears to be
more or less the ultimate GPS.

> 2. Samsung design-in excites NXP CEO van Houten
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| NXP CEO Frans van Houten has descirbed Samsung's decision to use it as a 3G
>| chipset supplier as an "exciting step" for the chip firm.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| The reference phone is based on the NXP Nexperia Cellular System Solution
>| 7210 for 3G, coupled with the Purple Labs Linux suite.
> `----
>
> http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2008/02/06/43081/samsung-design-in-excites-nxp-ceo-van-houten.htm
>

> A bit older, but maybe of interest to you nonetheless:
>
> Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was
>| used in two new 3G business smartphones from Italian handset
>| designer Enteos.
> `----

Excellent!