Re: [News] New Linux SDK Released by Google, Success Expected

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 14 February 2008 11:36 : \____

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/021308-google-updates-android-software-development.html

>> Your next phone could run Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Since Android has been demo?d running live on processors and chipsets from
>>| TI and Qualcomm, the platform is technically ready for manufacturers to
>>| develop and prototype the solution. We can expect some Android devices at
>>| next year?s MWC. Should Sarin?s vision of four or five operating systems
>>| come true, Linux is a safe bet as one of them.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2139
>>
>> The previews look impressive. iPhone is closed, expensive and it is likely
>> to fall behind Google.
>>

> The critical thing is to get some good 3G phones running Linux.
> EDGE/2.5G is far too dated for any market apart from the US/Canada, as
> Apple and Motorola have been discovering.

Motorola has indeed been trying this for quite some time and it was getting
some flak for failing to do so even with a thousand of so engineers. The good
news comes from early this week, namely:

1. 3G Linux Smartphone Open Source Code to be Contributed

,----[ Quote ]
| SYSOPENDIGIA has said that it will contribute back to open source the
| software the company created and modified for a 3G Linux smartphone.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/16057/3g-linux-smartphone-open-source-code-be-contributed

2. Samsung design-in excites NXP CEO van Houten

,----[ Quote ]
| NXP CEO Frans van Houten has descirbed Samsung's decision to use it as a 3G
| chipset supplier as an "exciting step" for the chip firm.
|
| [...]
|
| The reference phone is based on the NXP Nexperia Cellular System Solution
| 7210 for 3G, coupled with the Purple Labs Linux suite.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2008/02/06/43081/samsung-design-in-excites-nxp-ceo-van-houten.htm

A bit older, but maybe of interest to you nonetheless:

Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones

,----[ Quote ]
| MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was
| used in two new 3G business smartphones from Italian handset
| designer Enteos.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 126 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie