Re: [News] R.E.M. Chooses Open Source-type Distribution, FOSS Advocate Speaks Out

____/ [H]omer on Friday 15 February 2008 02:32 : \____

>> R.E.M. open-sources its music videos: The future of content?
>
> The list gets longer... and all big-name bands too!
>
> Between this and the rush away from DRM, I'd say the RIAA are finished.

It's the Cathedral's dilemma. Oracle faces similar threats and so does
Microsoft. Free code and free content can be exchanged very easily.
Communication also facilitates better collaboration (SVN/CVS, YouTube, legal
P2P), so 'the little people' needn't rely on the monarchs or the middlemen.

The fine thing about this type of capitalism is that the artist of coder
is /paid directly/ for things like services and concerts. There are
no 'funnels' in between (you know, that thing which accumulates heaps of
liquidated cash and lets the artistic types drink from a narrow end, if it
feels like it).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done
Tasks: 157 total,   1 running, 156 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie