[News] R.E.M. Chooses Open Source-type Distribution, FOSS Advocate Speaks Out

  • Subject: [News] R.E.M. Chooses Open Source-type Distribution, FOSS Advocate Speaks Out
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:42:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
R.E.M. open-sources its music videos: The future of content?

,----[ Quote ]
| The future of media isn't amateurs uploading and remixing content. It's also
| not a bunch of professionals ramming "culture" down the throats of the mute
| masses. It's a combination of the two, iterating toward a collaborative
| product.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9872234-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Open source - and an open mind

,----[ Quote ]
| Zymaris was very active in the area of advocacy some years back but that has
| fallen off somewhat. If truth be told, he is somewhat cynical about those who
| claim to be advocates nowadays. And there we go off the record, so you,
| gentle reader, can theorise in any direction you like.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16646/1148/

Related:

Radiohead, 'Juno' blast onto U.S. pop chart

,----[ Quote ]
| Radiohead's “In Rainbows” album topped the U.S. sales chart this week,
| selling 122,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
|
| It arrived in stores in CD format on New Year's Day, nearly three months
| after the artsy British rock group unleashed the album to the Web at a cost
| to be determined by the user -- whatever price fans chose to pay, including
| nothing at all.
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/extendedplay/2008/01/radiohead-juno.html

CES - Digital music industry challenged to follow fans' lead

,----[ Quote ]
| Allowing their music to be distributed through ad-supported online music
| services is a particularly hard sell for artists who worry that having their
| work be associated with advertising "devalues" it, Wragg added.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=436451188&rid=-50

Free Radiohead music pirated

,----[ Quote ]
| Big Champagne, a Los-Angeles-based company that tracks illegal downloading on
| the Internet said that while 1.2 million people legitimately downloaded the
| album online, 500,000 picked it up from torrent sites.
|
| [....]
|
| It has also had more copies sold. Radiohead's previous album sold only
| 300,000 copies in the first week.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/18/free-radiohead-music-pirated

Radiohead album bets on fast release, open pricing

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/Radiohead-album-bets-on-fast-release%2C-open-pricing/2100-1025_3-6212107.html?tag=nefd.top