Re: [News] Compiz-Fusion Gets Brilliant Features Including KDE 4 and Wiimote Integration

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 13 February 2008 15:51 : \____

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/compiz-fusion-community-news-for-february-9-2008-kde-4-is-in/

>>> It's the cube that saves time, or makes things easier, because it removes
>>> the need to have to remember what's on each VT or workspace, or in the
>>> case of screen, in each virtual shell.  In screen, c-a" brings up a
>>> list of VTs, and if you're smart, you've already done c-aA and labelled
>>> them properly.
>>
>> You can designate each workspace to a task/app and then just stay
>> consistent. In KDE, you can also force an application to always open up
>> (and/or stay) in 'its own' workspace, so orientation is not an issue.
>
> I know, but you still have to remember what is open where.  With the
> cube, you can see everything in one go, pulling it around to the bit you
> want.  Because you can make it transparent, you can see immediately.
> It's a completely different approach to virtual desktops compared with
> the traditional linux method.  Windows, of course, has never even *had*
> virtual desktops or a separate console...

I've just seen a short article about the possibility of truly 3-D interfaces in
GNU/Linux. Windows is truly being left behind... and Windows 7 is a disaster
before it has begun... some say it's still in the planning phase, with no
release before 2011 and nothing major to top Vista, which is the starting
point that is also horrific. Microsoft will cling on to software patents and
will also try to corrupt politicians for them, just as it corrupts for OOXML.
The nastiest Microsoft of all is yet to be seen now that it's approaching
debt.

>>> With the cube, though, a middle-mouse click pushes the cube back,
>>> visible across both monitors, and you can rotate it until you get the
>>> faces you want, whilst being able to clearly see what's on each one.
>>> Up until this point, I'd not been all that convinced by GUIs, but I've
>>> finally seen something which *really* saves hassle, although, to be fair,
>>> the auto-mounting of USB devices which both Gnome and KDE support is
>>> also very useful.
>>>
>>> The cube is one of the capabilities you can enable, it's probably not
>>> enabled by default.  I don't know how good it would be without a 3D
>>> card.
>>
>> It runs okay, even on a weak machine. It's bizarre.
>>

> That is strange.  Have you tried it with the cube?

Yes. I don't think there's an on-board /anything/ that accelerates this.

Anyhoo...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie