[News] [SOT] Data Set Free, Like Software (CC0 Initiative)

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Data Set Free, Like Software (CC0 Initiative)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:51:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Promoting the Public Domain with Creative Commons' CC0 Initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| The Creative Commons’ new CC-Zero initiative, instigated largely as an
| adjunct to the Science Commons’ “Protocol for Implementing Open Access Data”
| is designed to make things easier.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/promoting_public_domain_creative_commons_cc0_initiative

Related:

Free Knowledge & Free Technology Conference 2008

,----[ Qyuote ]
| The Free Knowledge & Free Technology Conference (FKFT) is the first
| international event that focuses on the production and sharing of free
| educational and training materials about Free Software
`----

http://freeknowledge.eu/projects/fkft2008

The Creative Commons CC0 project

,----[ Quote ]
| CC0[http://creativecommons.org/projects/cczero] is a Creative Commons
| project designed to promote and protect the public domain by 1) enabling
| authors to easily waive their copyrights in particular works and to
| communicate that waiver to others, and 2) providing a means by which
| any person can assert that there are no copyrights in a particular work,
| in a way that allows others to judge the reliability of that assertion.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/265351/

Libraries Defend Open Access

,----[ Quote ]
| In an open letter last month, Rockefeller University Press castigated the
| publishers' sock-puppet outfit, PRISM, for using distorting rhetoric in a
| coordinated PR attack on open access. N
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/08/1739235&from=rss

Announcing the Open Library

,----[ Quote ]
| Early this year, when I left my job at Wired Digital, I thought I could look
| forward to months of lounging around San Francisco, reading books on the
| beach and drinking fine champagne and eating foie gras. Then I got a phone
| call. Brewster Kahle of the Internet Archive was thinking of pursuing a
| project that I'd been trying to do literally for years.
|
| [...]
|
| So today I'm extraordinarily proud to announce the Open Library project. Our
| goal is to build the world's greatest library,
`----

http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/openlibrary

Wikipedia Founder Joins EC Open Access Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales said he signed a petition calling
| on the European Commission to give the public open access to
| taxpayer-funded scientific research because it was "simple and
| obvious" that the public should have access to research they
| had funded. "Public money should result in public benefit,"
| he added.

Push for open access to research

,----[ Quote ]