Re: [News] Apple's Anti-Choice Could Get Federal Involvement

____/ alt on Wednesday 27 February 2008 20:59 : \____

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:46:38 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Democratic bill could force Apple, AT&T to unlock iPhone
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | When T-Mobile began selling Apple's iPhone in Germany last fall, a
>> legal | skirmish ensued, forcing the wireless carrier to sell it
>> untethered to a | contract--at $1,460, no less. T-Mobile eventually
>> persuaded a court that the | two-year contract was legal.
>> |
>> | Now that same kind of European rule would be imported into the United
>> | States--meaning AT&T would be legally required to sell a contract-free
>> | iPhone--if a new Democratic proposal in the U.S. House of
>> Representatives | becomes law.
>> `----
>
> I still say that the best thing one could do is to completely shun the
> iPhone. If Apple doesn't want to sell an unlocked iPhone, then I don't
> want to buy an iPhone.

I personally care less about the lockin and more about the /company/ they chose
to lock people in to. AT&T is like the comms equivalent of the KGB for all I
can tell.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded
 04:20:02 up 34 days, 14:14,  3 users,  load average: 1.77, 2.07, 1.99