Re: [News] VMWare Secures Contract and Gives Microsoft Another Hole in the Pocket

____/ RonB on Wednesday 27 February 2008 04:24 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> VMware rains hardware deals on Microsoft's parade
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The agreements will infuriate Microsoft which is struggling to get its
>> | own virtualisation offering onto the market.
>> `----
>>

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/26/vmware_dell_hp_ibm_fujitsu_siemens/
>
> From the article above:
>
> "What’s more significant is the fact that leading server makers have decided
> to bed down with VMware rather than await Microsoft’s delayed Hyper-V,
> which is expected to land within the next 180 days."
>
> And that's just the "beta-testing" -- Microsoft style, where the pretend
> it's an actual software release.

They throw a lot of vapour out there. They even used Mary Jo Foley's blog to
oust some vapour and discredit both Linux and VMWare. That was two weeks ago.
It was like a placement, an informercial.

I was shocked to find that Windows Server 2008 is released today. There is no
marketing, no advertising. Almost nothing. This silent welcome lets you know
that Microsoft already knows the product is Vista 'quality' (they are merely
identical), which has already been confirmed by many.

Links appended before some Microsoft shill attack me for not backing the
statement (it's like I can't say anything anymore without being accused of
lying, "having a slow news day" or having some typos, which annoy
Tim "Proofreadcop" Smith).

___

There’s no Windows Server 2008 SP1 in the works. Here’s why

,----[ Quote ]
| Chalk that abnormality up to Microsoft’s ongoing attempt to more closely
| synchronize its Windows client and Windows server releases. Because Windows
| client and server are built from the same core and thus get patched with many
| of the same updates and fixes, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1 are
| now "on par."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1193

Hyper-V in Server 2008 RTM doesn't like non-US locales

,----[ Quote ]
| Annoying. Yes, it is mentioned in the release notes - but what if Hyper-V
| beta had required you to set a non-US locale at install time? Do you think
| Microsoft would have flagged this problem more prominently?
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/11/hyper_v_localization/

Microsoft web developers branded pants

,----[ Quote ]
| The strokers of beards and Volish nay-sayers have been claiming that reason
| is Windows Server 2008. They claim this on the very safe assumption that
| since Microsoft installed it, vole.com has been running like a condemned man
| with his legs cut off on his way to his own execution.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/11/microsoft-web-developers-pants

This eWeek [on Servers]

,----[ Quote ]
| I asked Jason about Windows Server's newfound security: "The first time
| I heard about this new feature," he said, "I thought it was clearly a
| response to Linux.
|
| Windows Server 2008 isn't quite there yet, according to Jason's tests.

What will run on Windows Server 2008 — and when

,----[ Quote ]
| Are we in for a Windows-Vista-like experience, where even some of Microsoft’s
| own applications didn’t work with its new operating system for weeks, if not
| months?
|
| [...]
|
| A number of Microsoft server apps that won’t support Windows Server 2008
| until the latter half of 2008, when service packs providing Server 2008
| compatibility are released.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1153

Windows server URL sends you to Apple

,----[ Quuote ]
| TYPE IN windowsserver2008.com into your browser and after it thinks a bit, it
| takes you straight to the Apple site.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/31/windows-server-url-sends-apple

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Alchin retiring, MarkL and MarkZ, two of the most talented
| architects in MS already having left, the picture gets really
| ugly for the Windows division," my friend claimed, and the BV's
| core team members, Ian McDonald, Jack Mayo, Todd Wanke, Clyde
| Rodriguez and others are starting to connect the dots.
|
| [...]
|
| He concluded ominously. "A trainwreck of biblical proportions looms.
| Pick a good seat on the sidelines, trainwrecks this large take
| awhile to complete. Vista may be the last MS OS for some time to
| come, especially if Cutler decides to play hardball."
`----

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/
http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt

And home server is a similar story:

Will Windows Home Server be Microsoft’s next flop?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you buy-off on the theory that the world seems to be heading in the
| opposite direction that Microsoft wants to lead it, then you can’t help but
| wonder what the long term prospects for an offering like Windows Home Server
| are. Not good, if you ask me.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=791

Windows Home Server fan club beats me up for asking if WHS is Microsoft’s next
flop

,----[ Quote ]
| Literally within minutes of each other (strangely coincidental), I received
| two e-mails — one from a colleague and the other from someone who concealed
| their identity — that basically told me I was out of line for questioning the
| chances that Microsoft’s Windows Home Server will succeed.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=851

Microsoft loves competition.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
everything it touches."

                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO