[News] Further Dilution of the Open Source Definition, Innovation Listed as OSS Advantage

  • Subject: [News] Further Dilution of the Open Source Definition, Innovation Listed as OSS Advantage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:27:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Is everything open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Which, again, is why Ackman called this an “open source model.” It’s aimed as
| much at giving him the political high ground as anything else. Here are my
| numbers, run them yourself, where are yours?
|
| But, again, is this open source? I sure don’t see it in the OSI definitions.
| Can we expect a nastygram from Michael Tiemann on the group’s blog? Or would
| that be stepping in it?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2043

The Benefits of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Innovation in Open Source?
|
| Recently there has been much interest in leveraging the user community for
| early identification of innovation opportunities. From a theoretical
| perspective, Von Hippel's recent work [13] has been widely cited. Von Hippel
| proposes “lead users” who form a category willing to experiment with and
| extend products offered. He also details a number of cases where companies
| have been able to leverage the work of these lead users for early
| identification of innovation opportunities and market direction. On the
| applied side, Seybold [12] advances the notion of “co-design” between
| companies and customers based on her consulting firms' long experience in the
| field.
|
| While there are number of similarities between Von Hippel's and Seybold's
| approaches, the former is concerned more with innovation,
`----

from con-sys

Related:

Close source is dead, open source is the way to innovation!

,----[ Quote ]
| There's no PR-department at 'the Linux community office' to ask what the
| current innovations are, what's going on and what's new. Instead of being
| lazy you have to find it out for yourself. Even someone who spends a part of
| the day reading news stories about open source software, finds at least ten
| innovative new programs he has never heard of in a list of 100 recommended
| open source programs (that's what happened to me today). No, I'm afraid
| people who think open source doesn't bring innovation and don't see how the
| closed source model hinders innovation just failed their trendwatcher exam.
| Wake up, it's 2008!

Balancing open source risk and the total innovation opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| This week I have been banging on and on about the total
| innovation opportunity of using open source software as an
| enterprise development platform.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/balancing_open.html

Can you leave innovation to the customer?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.theage.com.au/innovator/archives/2007/09/can_you_leave_i.html