[News] OpenBallnux Evangelist Interviewed, Community Profiles Continue

  • Subject: [News] OpenBallnux Evangelist Interviewed, Community Profiles Continue
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:23:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Chattin' with OpenSUSE's Zonker

,----[ Quote ]
| When I was at SCALE the weekend before last I caught up with Joe "Zonker"
| Brockmeier.   It was Zonker's 8th day on the job as the OpenSUSE community
| manager and we talked about his plans and thoughts regarding the new
| position.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/barton808/entry/chattin_with_opensuse_s_zonker

People of openSUSE: Rossana Motta

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing the ‘People of openSUSE’ series, this time we have the pleasure to
| meet openSUSE Member Rossana Motta, well-know among SuSELinuxSupport forum
| users.
`----

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/02/22/people-of-opensuse-rossana-motta/

Related:

Hello world!

http://zonker.opensuse.org/2008/02/04/hello-world/

openSUSE Welcomes Zonker - The New Community Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| I’d like to give a warm welcome to Joe ‘Zonker’ Brockmeier who joins the
| openSUSE project as “openSUSE community manager”.
`----

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/02/04/welcome-zonker/

Community Managers Become More Common

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the emerging trends in the GNU/Linux distro world is the attempt to
| build better bridges between the community of users and companies that
| sponsor development work. Perhaps the best-known example is Canonical's
| Ubuntu Community Manager, Jono Bacon, whom Open Enterprise interviewed
| recently. And now Joe ‘Zonker’ Brockmeier has joined the club as openSUSE
| Community Manager.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=457&blogid=14

DLS Interview: openSUSE's new Community Manager, Joe Brockmeier

,----[ Quote ]
| A long time open source advocate, Joe began using Linux in 1996, after
| purchasing a set of Slackware CDs at a local store. He says, "...I was blown
| away by the concept of 'free as in beer' software. The idea that you could
| share software, and even modify it and distribute it, was (and is) extremely
| exciting to me.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/02/04/dls-interview-opensuses-new-community-manager-joe-brockmeier/

Novell congratulates itself for snogging Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell wants you to know that selling its soul to Steve Ballmer was a really
| good idea.
|
| On the last day of 2007, two separate Novell execs tossed up blog posts
| congratulating themselves for agreeing to that "interoperability partnership"
| with Microsoft, a year-old deal intent on forcing an unholy relationship
| between Linux and Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/03/linux_pats_self_on_back/

Novell Wasn't Profitable Even After Sugar From Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Even with that "sugar" from Microsoft, Novell didn't end up profitable for
| the year. I don't know how much of the $355.6m payment was recognized as 07
| revenue but Novell still ended fiscal 07 with a $44.5 million loss.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/23465

Why is there no Open Source SLES ?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of them is that the SLES community is much smaller and more aimed at
| proprietary software. Novell itself is promoting Mixed Source and promotes
| its own proprietary software on top of SLES (also see OES). This obviously
| scares part of the community away. The deal with Microsoft obviously does as
| well. As a result Novell is big within Enterprises with little community
| people, and these are not the kind of people that would spend their free time
| rebuilding packages and do QA.
|
| Another reason is that Novell is not in favor of such a project (even though
| people from within Novell _and_ people in the SLES community disagree with
| management) because it fears it will take away some of the profit and Novell
| made a big risk by taking the Linux route, they cannot afford to make it
| fail.
`----

http://dag.wieers.com/blog/content/why-is-there-no-open-source-sles

Is it Microsoft + Novell or Microsoft vs. Novell?

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, this is very surprising. I've started to notice a trend in all the
| announcements the two companies have made over the past year: Novell stresses
| interoperability while Microsoft beats its drum on patent protection.
|
| [...]
|
| I wonder how long Microsoft will continue its efforts to try to cast the deal
| as about IP. It's not for Novell, it seems to me now. Microsoft did the deal
| to hurt Linux - there's no other explanation for it. It has no fiduciary duty
| to enable a competitor (unless its a weaker competitor against the Linux
| market leader, Red Hat). It has a fiduciary duty to kill that competitor.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9813681-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself

,----[ Quote ]