Re: [Roy Schestowitz-like News]Sony illegaly bribes Toshiba to drop HD-DVD

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:20:58 -0500, Linonut wrote:

> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Yeah... nothing like a 44 BILLION bid... huh?
>>
>> So you can't tell the difference between a bribe and a purchase?
>
> How was Sony's deal with Toshiba a bribe?
>
> Sounds like you're being as allusive as you claim Roy is.

"You can buy this chip fab for pennies on the dollar if you give up on
HD-DVD".

They bought the plant for $835 Million dollars, which is cheap for a chip
fab (usually they run around 2-3 billion).

For example:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06/26/amd_new_york_fab/

"AMD is to build a 300mm-wafer fab in Saratoga County, New York. The $3.5bn
plant will be used to punch out 32nm processors, comments made by senior
staffers suggest."

http://www.news.com/AMD-breaks-ground-on-new-chip-plant/2100-1006_3-5109686.html

"The company said it expects to spend $2.4 billion over the next four years
to construct and later upgrade the plant, dubbed AMD Fab 36."

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/incentive/ti0011.htm

"The chips made at IBM's new US$2.5 billion fab in East Fishkill, N.Y.,
will be very, very small - more than 1,000 times thinner than a human
hair."