Re: fours to reinstall Windows XP ..

____/ Doug Mentohl on Friday 22 February 2008 19:26 : \____

> Windows XP goes blue screen, even if the 'recovery console' is invoked.
> Should be renamed the unrecovery console .. :)
>
> Four hours to reinstall Windows XP, and that was after you unhide the
> recovery partition which the boot script was designed to not-run if it
> was hidden. This appears to be the the original OEM installer.
> Appariently only the OEMs have the authority to recover a borked Windows
> computer ..
>
> It's still churning away ... first running a bunch of BATch scripts,
> then formating the partition, then copying Windows, it's now
> reinstalling the laptop specific bits and rebooting after each one. It
> stopped to convert from fat to NTFS halfway through. I thought all a
> disk image restore required was a bit-by-bit copy. What an amateur mess.
>
> Oh, of course it wiped out all the user data, which is why I had to boot
> to knoppix and copy it to a USB device. What an amateur mess.
>
> .. it's still churning away at 'Windows burnin' .. what ever that is ...

Doug,

Windows XP (whichever edition) is an antique. I was a teenager when it was a
released. It's time to move on (and by no means /back/, i.e. Vista).

Using a Knoppix Live DVD to save Windows XP is like trying to crack a nut with
a sledgehammer. It's too considerable a tool for something quite minuscule.

Having tried Mac OS X a few times (also used Mac OS 9 at work for a couple of
years back in the days), it's clear that even among the proprietary offerings,
XP is seen as passe -- and Vista's a step back to make matters worse.

Frankly, it continues to amaze that some people still believe that Microsoft
will maintain dominance. When you show me Windows Vista laptops flying off the
shelf for $150, then I'll be worried for Free software.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
Mem:    515500k total,   444532k used,    70968k free,     3284k buffers