Re: [News] Adobe AIR Development for GNU/Linux Under Way

> Adobe Pushes DRM for Flash
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Now Adobe, which controls Flash and Flash Video, is trying to change that
>| with the introduction of DRM restrictions in version 9 of its Flash Player
>| and version 3 of its Flash Media Server software. Instead of an ordinary web
>| download, these programs can use a proprietary, secret Adobe protocol to talk
>| to each other, encrypting the communication and locking out non-Adobe
>| software players and video tools. We imagine that Adobe has no illusions that
>| this will stop copyright infringement -- any more than dozens of other DRM
>| systems have done so -- but the introduction of encryption does give Adobe
>| and its customers a powerful new legal weapon against competitors and
>| ordinary users through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
> `----
>
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/02/adobe-pushes-drm-flash

I think Adobe is making a mistake here.  Granted, there will be a large
number of Windows-using consumer drones who will just sit there and take
it.  But many others will just go elsewhere for their content.

And, well, this may be just what we needed to get rid of this gaudy
time-wasting Flash content!

--
It's fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of
failure.