Re: DRM one of reasons for Blu-Ray win

* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

> On 2008-02-21, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ____/ chrisv on Thursday 21 February 2008 14:29 : \____

>>> Well, duh, of course they are.  They would like to control all our data.
>>> Nothing new there.
>>
>> That's partly why Microsoft wants DRM. It wants to control all your data. Not
>> just application data, but media too.
>
> It's not just MS that want's DRM.  And now with blu-ray as the winner
> they have it in spades.

   http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/02/21/lessons-from-the-death-of-hd-dvd/

   HD-DVD promised to reach the market faster and cheaper due to its
   similarities to DVD player assembly as well as support from Microsoft
   on the PC desktop and in its first-to-market Xbox 360 game console.
   Microsoft had also sold Disney CEO Michael Eisner on HDi and Windows
   Media DRM.

   . . .

   The public wasn't aware of what was going on behind the scenes
   because Microsoft worked diligently to spin a misinformation campaign
   that suggested that HD-DVD would be cheaper, more open, and deliver
   more content. Backers were fed talking points that insisted that
   HD-DVD discs were cheaper to create, that the Chinese would pump out
   ultra cheap players to support Microsoft, and that HD-DVD's DRM
   was somehow easier to get around than Blu-Ray. This was all false.

--
A wise ruler ought never to keep faith when by doing so it would be against his
interests.