[News] Software is Turning Web-based, Now Mathematica

  • Subject: [News] Software is Turning Web-based, Now Mathematica
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 06:34:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
O'Reilly taking Mathematica online

,----[ Quote ]
| The O'Reilly School of Technology announced Wednesday a licensing deal with
| Wolfram that will let it create an online version of Mathematica called
| Hilbert that "will emulate the desktop version of the software with
| remarkable fidelity."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9875237-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Windows is becoming irrelevant.

Related:

Adobe sees full shift to Web in next decade

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe Systems is working to deliver all of its software via the Web as a
| service rather than a packaged product, but the transition to earn money from
| subscriptions or advertising could take a decade...
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21359751/

Hands on with the new online version of OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, Online OpenOffice.org certainly does have a niche it can fill. Due to
| its desktop-cum-web nature, it easily offers the most features of any online
| office suite. Users who are unhappy with Google Docs' K.I.S.S. approach and
| are unwilling to pay Microsoft's hefty prices for Office might have a good
| chance at looking past Online OpenOffice.org's shortcomings. As
| OpenOffice.org's GUI matures—and if Ulteo's implementation keeps in step—
| Online OpenOffice.org has a good chance of evolving into a feature-rich, easy
| to use, web-based office suite.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071216-hands-on-with-the-new-online-version-of-openoffice-org.html

Heroes of Might and Magic assault web

,----[ Quote ]
| The game requires no download or installation, only an Internet connection.
| In addition, players can play at their own pace; from 10 minutes to
| multiple-hour sessions.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15817/1063/

Games shared from PC to PS3 over the Web?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15045/1063/