[News] [Rival] Microsoft Keeps Spreading the S/W Patents, DRM, Silverlight Disease

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Keeps Spreading the S/W Patents, DRM, Silverlight Disease
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 06:32:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
LiveStation: Another Microsoft Silverlight touch point

,----[ Quote ]
| LiveStation, which Microsoft Research co-developed with Skinkers, includes a
| client-based player that runs on top of Silverlight, Microsoft’s rich-media
| technology.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft acquired a minority equity stake in Skinkers in exchange for
| Skinkers’ use of the Microsoft P2P intellectual property.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1205

And another new reminder of the reason why proprietary software is bad (it
controls its user):

Adobe Pushes DRM for Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| Now Adobe, which controls Flash and Flash Video, is trying to change that
| with the introduction of DRM restrictions in version 9 of its Flash Player
| and version 3 of its Flash Media Server software. Instead of an ordinary web
| download, these programs can use a proprietary, secret Adobe protocol to talk
| to each other, encrypting the communication and locking out non-Adobe
| software players and video tools. We imagine that Adobe has no illusions that
| this will stop copyright infringement -- any more than dozens of other DRM
| systems have done so -- but the introduction of encryption does give Adobe
| and its customers a powerful new legal weapon against competitors and
| ordinary users through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/02/adobe-pushes-drm-flash

It's time for Ogg. By the way, it emerges from a CV that the Nokia guy who
knocked down Ogg from HTML5 was a Microsoft 'insider' (former Softie).  That's
how people have anti-FOSS impact in the W3C -- by proxy.

Related:

Microsoft Shares the Love

,----[ Quote ]
| News Brief. I'm a huge fan of guerrilla marketing. Two excellent examples:
| Silverlight valentines and the Martin Luther King Jr. virtual tour.
|
| The first is a collaborative effort by Microsoft's Windows Live and
| Silverlight teams: Valentine's Day e-cards, created using Silverlight. PC
| users can send their love using photos from Flickr or Windows Live Spaces.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/microsoft_shares_the_love.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Microsoft Shares the Love, but Not with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has put up an invitation to share the love, but not with Linux
| (just bear with me, it will make sense in the end). With Valentine's Day just
| a few weeks away, the teams over at Windows Live and Microsoft Silverlight
| have joined their forces to enable users to spread and share their love.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Shares-the-Love-But-Not-with-Linux-76929.shtml

Is Seven Renegade, Guerrilla Marketer or Fake?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some advice for Microsoft: If this site is unsanctioned but real, don't shut
| it down. The most recent post is reason enough. The anonymous blogger gives a
| short history of Windows architectural changes, and he or she provides the
| most information about Vista. Microsoft, you need some good Windows
| evangelism right now, and an anonymous and seemingly insider blogger is a
| great way to generate buzz. If Seven provides some juicy details, people will
| subscribe to his or her feed, and enthusiast sites will report or blog every
| little feature.
|
| Some kudos for Microsoft: If Seven is a sanctioned guerrilla marketer, he or
| she has been too long waiting to blog. Microsoft, you need to get some good
| leaks out there to generate buzz. Please, let's see more of this. Be
| aggressive, take marketing risks. A blog such as this is worth millions of
| dollars in advertising, if it delivers the goods (meaning details) and
| generates buzz.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/is_seven_renegade_guerrilla_marketer_or_fake.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Ustream.tv negotiating $50 million sale to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Our tipster also mentions that Microsoft would use Ustream as a way to
| promote its Adobe Flash competitor, Silverlight.
`----

http://valleywag.com/354140/ustreamtv-negotiating-50-million-sale-to-microsoft

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569