[News] McAfee Responds to "Request for Source Code"

I robbed the thread titled "[News] McAfee Licks Microsoft Boots by Doing FUD
Work, Does Crime" and append this one to it.

I have no idea where this is going to go, but I'm sure to open a few eyes
along the way...

>Jerry McBride wrote:

>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> McAfee throws some FUD at the GPL
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In its annual report, Windows security software vendor McAfee told its
>> | investors that open source software licence terms it vaguely
>> | characterised as " ambiguous" might "result in unanticipated
>> | obligations regarding our products."
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | That statement says several things. First, it reveals that McAfee does
>> | use at least some open source software derived code in its products.
>
> ----snip----
>
> I just emailed McAfee Tech Support asking for the URL containing the
> downloadable, GPL licensed source code...
>
> This ought to be interesting...

Originally, this all started out as an exercise of the freedom of speech and
blind curiosity. My interest was came about after McAfee alluded to the
fact that they use GPL software in the creation of their proprietary
offerings... If that is fact, then where's the sources?

And so it begins with me entering a request via the McAfee website...

Here's a copy of my original request, simple and to the point:

#### my request for source code ####

I just read an article that your company uses GPL licensed source code.
Would you be so kind as to give me the URL where I can download the sources
that you use, as required by the GPL?

Thank You,  Jerry

#### end of original request ####

Here's the response from McAfee for my source code request. It's painfully
obvious that the tier 1 tech had no clue what I getting on about...:

#### start of McAfee response ####