Re: [News] Gates Fundation [sic] Tries to Push GNU/Linux Out of OLPC

____/ Linonut on Wednesday 09 January 2008 21:05 : \____

> * Mark Kent fired off this tart reply:

>>> CES: OLPC, Microsoft build dual-boot Windows, Linux OS
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11786
>>>
>>> Maybe they can also repeat those briberies, just as they did in Nigeria?
>>> What did Gates say about OLPC just days ago? Didn't he mock it just a while
>>> ago too?
>>
>> Oh Gawd, did Mr Negroponte learn nothing from his experience with Intel?
>> Microsoft kills /everything/ it does deals with.
>
> I wonder which OS will be the default.
>
> And will an update to it overwrite the MBR?
>
> <wry grin>

Microsoft is good at approaching weak targets in need for money (think Novell).
I'm worried about OLPC. And don't forget that OLPC has received a lot of free
publicity.

Always remember that Gates mocked OLPC (even recently). Also this:

"Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people
don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though. As long as
they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of
addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the
next decade."

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Yes, that's real philanthropy.

Remember these words:

"...we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

                                        --Bill Gates

To Microsoft, poor children will always be just customers.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Rid your machine from malware. Install GNU/Linux.
Swap:  1510068k total,   481396k used,  1028672k free,    73096k cached