Re: [News] Too Many Installers Myth confirmed - how about just one that works?

"[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2lud55-7f6.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Talking of "too many installers" ...
>
> I've just spent the last *three days* (yes, it really took that long)
> performing my once-in-a-blue-moon update to my Billy Box; a marathon
> effort involving a visit to about 100 software vendors' websites, as
> many reboots, and countless hours attempting to resolve a litany of
> software issues. In the end, I gave up and simply restored the system
> from a disk image to a known "good" state ... "good" being a comparative
> term.

Big deal. Even if this were true at least it was working after three days.
Unlike linux where three days later the system is still a unusable pile of
shit.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4662737.html?sid=8811b1c0aa08cdb678243c43a917328c

<quote>

i686 LiveCD

I am (still) working on an installation on a (HP) Compaq nc6230 that I
started almost 3 days ago. The live cd hangs during the boot process no
matter which options you give it. The best result I have been able to get to
was 70% of the boot process using the 'nodetect' option. The error dialog
received at this stage indicated something was wrong with the boot disk, but
several burns later I cannot seem to get around this failure. I HAVE been
able to get a base install completed using the minimal CD and also did a
quick install under Debian, which (IMO) rules out any issue with the drive.

Simply put, the liveCD needs work. I am curious as to why this is given the
age of this post and how old the content on the CD is. Is no one working on
this anymore? If gentoo hopes to capture some of the linux newbie crowd
hooked by the live install process in Ubuntu and other live distros, more
work needs to be done. Perhaps it would be better to stop offering it
altogether if it's going out with so many problems.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Here's hoping I can get my install completed this
evening.
</quote>

<quote>

what the hell is up with the GUI install this is 100% crap

i have tryed everything with it & cant get it to install so i have to go
with an older ISO or what

this GUI installer gentoo has came out is  this is the best that gentoo can
do??????????????????????????????????
</quote>

<quote>
And yes, the 2007.0 liveCD GUI installer sucks, big time. However, the GUI
installer on the 2006.1 liveCD I have worked enough to put the system on the
machine...not well, but it is there.

I say not well because when the "screensaver" popped up during the install,
it wiped out all the feedback from the GUI screen. I wound up looking at a
blank screen, trying to guess when everything was going to be set up and
finished. After a little over twenty-four hours of the initial booting from
the CD, I stopped the install.
</quote>