[News] [SOT] Music Set Free by Artists, Big Media Throws Burden at ISPs

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Music Set Free by Artists, Big Media Throws Burden at ISPs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:08:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Brit violinist does a Radiohead

,----[ Quote ]
| Ms Little, 42, is giving the whole thing, entitled The Naked Violin, away
| absolutely free - thereby allowing music buffs to avoid the terrible dilemma
| posed by the In Rainbows "pay-what-you-fancy" net launch: to not pay anything
| for the album and not give a tinker's cuss; or to not pay anything and feel
| mildly guilty for about ten minutes.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/08/classical_music_download/

See, that's the spirit. She's good looking too! She can get paid by doing
concerts, having reached a large audience on the Web. Mafia-minded media
moguls keep bending the arms of pollies:

Government piles filesharing pressure on UK ISPs

,----[ Quote ]
| The proposed laws create an enforcement body that French ISPs will turn over
| filesharing data to. The "three strikes" system will see infringers
| disconnnected if they don't sign and stick to a promise not to share
| copyright material.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/08/triesman_isps_legislation_timetable/

That's fine, as long as they don't kill the *entire* *protocol*.

Related:

Consumer groups want Comcast fined for thwarting the Bible

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of consumer groups are petitioning the FCC to fine Comcast $195,000
| for every customer affected by their BitTorrent-throttling practices. The FCC
| has said in the past that service providers can't "block" customers from
| using certain applications or websites, but it hasn't enforced that policy.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/politics/consumer-groups-want-comcast-fined-for-thwarting-the-bible-317960.php

Comcast reported to FCC

,----[ Quote ]
| P2P throttling breaks FCC 'net neutrality' policy
|
| [...]
|
| Among the consumer groups who have approached the FCC are the Consumer
| Federation of America, the Consumers Union, the Media Access Project and
| professors at the Internet practices of the Yale, Harvard and Stanford law
| schools.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/comcast-reported-fcc

Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
| acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
| use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
| are being told nothing about how the network technology works,
`----

http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comcast-isnt-net-neutral-are-they-liars-too/

Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

,----[ Quote ]
| The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
| adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
| open communications platform."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805308-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9804158-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20