[News] OLPC's Founding CTO Eyes $50-75 Laptop; Intel's Ugly Past Returns

  • Subject: [News] OLPC's Founding CTO Eyes $50-75 Laptop; Intel's Ugly Past Returns
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:04:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Interview with OLPC's Founding CTO Mary Lou Jepsen, by Sean Daly

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm starting a company to go lower -- I think that we need a $50-75 laptop in
| the next 2-3 years.
|
| Also: Touch should not be as expensive as it is, it should be in incremental
| cost to the price of the display and embedded into the TFT matrix, or the LED
| light bar itself, and in every layer of the software stack so that it can be
| used and accessed easily and transparently.

What Intel Did to AMD

,----[ Quote ]
| IIRC during the late 1990s Intel would threaten motherboard makers that if
| they made boards which supported AMD's athlon they would get their
| engineering samples and documentation late, it took ages for any motherboards
| to appear which supported the athlon and the first ones were from small
| makers, then I think ASUS made a board but left their brand off the
| silkscreen possible to avoid a backlash from Intel. Intel knows the cost of
| building FABS and appears to be on a starve AMD of market volume thereby
| depriving them of funds to build their next FAB mission. This means that
| Intel will always be one or more generations ahead in process technology,
| this is a big thing in this industry. The few articles I found are
| speculation but hardly unfounded T oms hardware Athlon MB review And another
| one Tomshar dware Athlon motherboard review 2 The reluctance of motherboard
| manufacturers to take up and promote the new AMD products even though they
| were technically superior at the time is telling.
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=2008010710570126&title=What+Intel+Did+to+AMD&type=article&order=&hideanonymous=0&pid=662824#c663027

Intel is the bully of the hardware world.

"When you taunt the referee, he usually
watches you even more closely. That’s what happened to Microsoft, whose
“up yours!” attitude toward the Department of Justice has inspired
investigators to dig even deeper. Now they’re looking at Microsoft’s
efforts to take over Java. These relentless investigations sap
Microsoft, and distract the DOJ from worse dangers such as Intel. And
Microsoft’s childish, insulting behavior is largely to blame."

                                        --Jesse Berst

Related:

EU receives Intel response to chip ops charges; to 'carefully' study data

,----[ Quote ]
| It claims Intel made payments to induce an OEM to either delay or cancel the
| launch of a product line incorporating an AMD-based CPU, the statement
| continued. In addition, the commission believes Intel offered CPUs at a
| below-average cost.
`----

http://www.afxnews.com/about488/index.php?lg=en&c=00.00&story=2251609

Intel to finally cough up EC anti-trust furball

,----[ Quote ]
| In other Intel news, Reuters also reports today that the firm's Chinese
| president Wee Theng Tan has resigned, citing "personal reasons".
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/01/07/intel_eu_antitrust_response/

EC says Intel influenced bids for computer projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The third type of allegation, however, was new, and sounded like a variety of
| predatory pricing. “In the context of bids against AMD-based products for
| strategic customers in the server segment of the market,” the commission
| press release said, “Intel has offered CPUs on average below cost.”
`----

http://legalpad.blogs.fortune.com/2007/08/03/ec-says-intel-influenced-bids-for-computer-projects/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Testing Laboratory Challenges Intel Power Efficiency Claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel's recent claim of power efficiency superiority over AMD is being
| challenged by Neal Nelson & Associates, an independent Chicago area computer
| testing firm.
|
| [...]
|
| The test is a client server benchmark where world wide web transactions are
| processed against a server configured with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server from
| Novell, the Apache2 web server software and the MySQL relational database.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/hardware/11054/testing-laboratory-challenges-intel-power-efficiency-claim

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Worries about PC sales snowball; Intel downgraded

,----[ Quote ]
| In a research note on Friday, J.P. Morgan analyst Christopher Danely
| downgraded Intel from “overweight” to “neutral.” Intel, along with AMD and
| other chip makers, was downgraded on Wednesday over the same concern. The big
| fear: An economic slowdown is crimping PC sales. Danely slightly lowered his
| earnings and revenue targets for Intel.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7480

Intel-powered XO is too expensive and consumes too much power

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://charbax.com/2008/01/04/intel-diamondville-and-menlow-processors-not-low-costpower-enough/