[News] Linux-end Laptops Ruin Microsoft's Desktop Domination, OLPC Raises $35 Million

  • Subject: [News] Linux-end Laptops Ruin Microsoft's Desktop Domination, OLPC Raises $35 Million
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 07:57:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Error 2007: A Fatal Error Has Occurred! Abort? Or Retry?

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista Was Microsoft's Big Humiliation Last Year; Will a Crop of Windows-Free
| Laptops Ruin Bill Gates' 2008?
`----

http://adage.com/columns/article.php?article_id=122882

One Laptop per Child Giving Campaign Raises $35 Million

,----[ Quote ]
| One Laptop per Child (OLPC) has announced the results of its Give One Get One
| campaign that ran from November 12 through December 31, 2007 in the United
| States and Canada. In total, the campaign raised $35 million and more than
| 100,000 XO laptops are already in the process of being distributed to
| children in Afghanistan, Cambodia, Ethiopia, Haiti, Mongolia and Rwanda.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/15681/one-laptop-child-giving-campaign-raises-35-million

Related:

Cheap Laptops Bad for Vista, Good for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The good news for everyone is that you can get a good, solid laptop for under
| a grand these days. The bad news for Vista users is that many of those
| laptops, even though they're sold with Vista, have nothing like enough
| resources to run Vista decently.
|
| [...]
|
| Total additional cost? About a buck for the burnable DVD for the Linux
| distribution. It's not a matter of "if," it's a matter of when we're going to
| see more Linux-powered laptops.
|
| Do the math. Vista doesn't work for today's laptop market. XP and Linux do.
| It's really that simple.

Laptops and Desktops running Linux continue to sell out

,----[ Quote ]
| When I decided to buy an Asus Eee I had a hard time finding one.  Amazon was
| sold out.  Buy.com was sold out.  Many of the smaller websites I found were
| also sold out, and claimed they would be in stock again on some future date.
`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/laptops-and-desktops-running-linux-continue-to-sell-out

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are sticking with that platform," said the official, who would not give
| his name.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124
http://tinyurl.com/27ycq9

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/