[News] New UMPCs Runs GNU/Linux, 400,000 Linux-bsed Eee PCs Sold

  • Subject: [News] New UMPCs Runs GNU/Linux, 400,000 Linux-bsed Eee PCs Sold
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 07:59:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
CES - Lenovo, Toshiba reveal new UMPCs at Intel booth

,----[ Quote ]
| The Lenovo device runs a Linux OS from Chinese developer Red Flag Software
| and boasts a 4.8-inch touch screen, an onboard camera and other features. It
| also has what appears to be a phone dialing pad on the right side, but there
| were no Lenovo personnel around at Intel's CES booth to talk about the
| product, nor any spec sheets detailing features of the device.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=2002660190&rid=-50

A Little 'Intel' on Apple's Next Move

,----[ Quote ]
| There are hints from other vendors using Intel chips that the subnotebook
| category could be a winner in 2008. Consider the Asus Eeepc, a tiny, $350
| notebook with a 7-inch screen that weighs less than a pound and uses an Intel
| Celeron chip. It runs Linux, supports Wi-Fi, and from what I'm hearing has
| sold some 400,000 units worldwide.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc2008014_140372.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

400,000 and counting. Intel saw OLPC running AMD and decided to launch on
assault on it. Some have shown that Eee PC was introduced with Intel's
involvement to hurt OLPC too (not just Classmate in developing countries).

| That [Linux] software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
| is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
| The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
| the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
| has said it is supporting both operating systems.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

Linux-powered Mobile Internet Device video walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The finalized product could obviously change ever-so-sightly between
| now and then, but regardless, be sure to click on through for an
| in-action look at Intel's Linux-based MID, and try not to become
| too envious, capiche?
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/05/linux-powered-mobile-internet-device-video-walkthrough/

UMPC News : New Linux distro for MIDs to be launched in May. Redflag
Mid Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=480