Re: [News] [Rival] Convicted Monopoly Bribes for a Standard and 'Wins'?

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 04 January 2008 18:21 : \____

>> 5 predictions about OOXML in 2008
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The <NO>OOXML leaders spoke at the 24 Chaos Communication Congress in
>>| Berlin just before New Year. They predict that Microsoft will manage to
>>| have their broken standard adopted by ISO on the 1st of April 2008, after
>>| heavy lobbying and control of the discussions of the Ballot Resolution
>>| Meeting in Geneva.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-33697/5-predictions-about-ooxml-in-2008
>>
>> Half the table at Geneva will be controlled by Microsoft, they reckon (to
>> vote on a Microsoft format for the 'benefit' of the world). It makes
>> Venezuela looks disciplined.
>
> ISO is more or less dead.  If Microsoft manage to squeeze their
> proprietary, ill-conceived mess through as a "standard", then I suspect
> it'll be the last time anyone really takes ISO seriously.  It should not
> be possible for any company to rig voting like this, so if it can
> happen, clearly the ISO system is broken.

Some of the chief folks at ISO have quit or retired. They must be too
embarrassed to carry on there. I still think that they are a victim, not the
accomplice -- and I sympathise with them. The accomplice is ECMA, which is a
bunch of greedy selfish b*****ds. They usher an abusive monopoly.

In an Open world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates? -- ??