Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Sued for Using DRM as Vendor Lock-in Tool

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:54:09 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Rick on Friday 04 January 2008 13:04 : \____
>
>> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:50:39 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Antitrust Lawsuit Charges Apple With Monopolizing Online Music
>>>
>> (snip)
>>
>> First, there are plenty of alternative music/multimedia players. I uste
>> my Palm TX to play multimedia, including music I bought from through
>> iTunes.
>>
>> There are plenty of places to buy music online.
>>
>> Jobs has stated if the labels will stop insisting on DRM,Apple will
>> stop using DRM.
>
> Yes, that was appreciated by the Defective by Design campaign, but some
> say that he only made such a statement for PR purposes.

... except for EMIs non-DRMed music available from Apple.

> Apple and
> Microsoft benefits from that DRM-imposed lock-in. Open platforms lose
> the most, the customer loses a lot (of music/films), and there's no fair
> competition anymore.

Why is there no fair competition? There are tons of audio players, and
all the statistics I've read says most of the music comes from ripped
CDs. There are all kinds of music download sites, AND iTunes runs on
Windows. BTW, I do play music I bought (licensed?) through Apple on my
Palm TX. Yes, I had to burn and rip, but I have it.

I can download music from WalMart, but supposedly can't play it on my
iPod. What is fair about that? WalMart's big. Let's jump on them.

Now, do I think Apple (Jobs) is stupid for not putting out a Linux
version of iTunes? Yes, I do.

--
Rick