Re: [News] Britain Closer to Banning Tools Found in GNU/Linux Distros?

Rich R <richard.reynolds1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Mark Kent wrote:

>>> UK gov sets rules for hacker tool ban
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/02/hacker_toll_ban_guidance/
>>>
>>> Wait until they redefine and reclassify what qualifies as 'hacker' tool
>>> (DMCA? Perl?).
>>>

>> What about those tools which home users use to probe for vulnerabilities
>> in their own systems?  Why should only "consultants" be allowed to use
>> such tools?  Why do governments even try to understand this stuff?
>>
>> We are quite likely to end up with a situation where only the criminals
>> are able to use standard components of linux distributions on the UK.
>> Legitimate users will be prevented from securing their own systems.
>> From a government which posts the personal details of 25 million
>> child-benefit recipients, this is, at best, somewhat ironic.
>>

> In any case, how can you prevent the use of these tools? It's not like
> buying a weapon from a shop where you have to prove your credentials, one
> simply downloads what one wants :) Whether they are illegal or not is
> irrelevant.

You should be asking the government that, not me.  I've no idea how they
would approach doing this, but then I don't think that they should try
to.  HMG has done all kinds of wierd things in the past, like trying to
ban Spycatcher, for example.

The concern I have is that they will /try/ to ban these things, and
cause all kinds of problems for ordinary people in doing so.